Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone enlighten me on the availability of the ZL-2 cowl induction hood option on a 69 with automatic transmission? The only one's I've seen have been on Pace Cars. Was this option also available on an SS with automatic?

The cowl induction air-cleaner housing on an automatic car is different from the one found in a manual trans car. The snorkle has the heat-riser connection and thermo-valve on it. Is this the only difference between the auto and manual trans versions?

It also does not seem to be available aftermarket. I've seen plenty of repro housings for manual trans, but never one for an automatic. Is a reproduction available or does anyone possibly have one for sale?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Yes, they were available on Camaro's with auto transmissions, not just SS's but also COPO's. So there are two different versions of auto transmission air cleaners out there. One for a small block and one for a big block.

No, the air cleaner is not reproduced, and chances of getting one is slim. They show up on Ebay about once or twice a year and end up going for between 700 and 1000 bucks.

Do what I did, get a repro, and a standard air cleaner with the heat riser, get a shop to remove the and swap the snorkles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark -
That's pretty much what I was thinking.
So... the snorkle part is actually identical on the standard and the cowl housing?
If so, then I'm off to the shop to have one grafted on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Just make sure you get a snorkel of a larger diameter air cleaner. The Cowl induction air cleaner is 16" in diameter, so you need to get one from a big car air cleaner so the radius where it attaches to the body of the air cleaner is correct.

There are only 3 part numbers for CI air cleaners in the Parts manual 6485233, 234, and 235. The 235 is for the big block and 302 with manual trans, the 234 is for the 350 with Auto trans, and the 233 is for the 350 with a manual trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts