·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 69 I have this following info:
On the dash pad: 123379N677094
On the firewall underneath the blower: 9N677094
On the cowl tag: ST6912437NOR110768 TR711 40 40 PNT 08E X11

I bought this car with a six cylinder from a '68 Nova. Do I have a car with the incorrect cowl tag from the factory, or did someone previous to me pull something. I also found this information on CRG.

12337 VIN vs 12437 Cowl Tag Code

Though it looks very similar to the first part of the VIN, the body style code on the Fisher Body cowl tag did not have the same meaning. Fisher Body didn't need the type of engine coded on the cowl tag, and so stamped the 3rd digit of the Fisher style code differently from the VIN.

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
You basically answered your own question. The VIN is a 6 cyl coupe, and the third digit on 68 and 69 cowl tags is meaningless. No fraud, no mistake.

The next sentence under the CRG paragraph you posted is:

"The 3rd digit of the VIN identifies which engine (L6 or V8) the car had from the factory. A VIN engine digit of 3 indicates a L6 engine, while a VIN engine digit of 4 indicates a V8 engine."

Just for giggles, here's the decode.

1 = Chevrolet
2 = Camaro
3 = 6-cylinder engine
37 = coupe body
9 = 1969 model year
N = Norwood, OH assembly plant
677094 = vehicle serial number sequence

Decode for body number: 110768

08E = Built the Fifth week of August.
69-12437 = Coupe.
NOR = Built in Norwood Ohio.
711 = Standard Black Bucket Seats.
40-40 = Car Color is Butternut Yellow
X11 = non-SS396, non-Z28, with style trim

What are the codes on the engine? Are you sure it is a 68 Nova engine and not original?

PowerGlide/TD TH350 3- or 4-speed
A/C no-A/C A/C no-A/C A/C no-A/C
------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------
230ci/140HP base L6 AQ AN AR AO AP AM
250ci/155HP L22 L6 BC BB BH BD BF BE

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I posted the engine codes here a few weeks ago and someone stated that's what is was. Thanks for answering my question on the cowl tag. :thumbsup: Kevin

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I went back to the other post, and now I remember the L6 had a Willow Run partial VIN.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My sister is the original owner of this vehicle. It was always in my family until I sold it on eBay in 2005. Just out of curiosity I did a Google search on the VIN and all that came up is this Camaros.net conversation. If you have any questions about it just ask. Also I am wondering what the car looks like these days; any photos are appreciated.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My sister is the original owner of this vehicle. It was always in my family until I sold it on eBay in 2005. Just out of curiosity I did a Google search on the VIN and all that came up is this Camaros.net conversation. If you have any questions about it just ask. Also I am wondering what the car looks like these days; any photos are appreciated.
Jim, very cool you took the time to post. A lot of guys have an interest in the history of their cars. However, this thread is 12 years old so its not likely you get a response. You might try sending a private message to the OP.

·
Premium Member
6,550 Posts
Last time kcart55 was on here was 8 years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jim, very cool you took the time to post. A lot of guys have an interest in the history of their cars. However, this thread is 12 years old so its not likely you get a response. You might try sending a private message to the OP.
Yes, I'm aware of how old this thread is; just thought I'd take a chance. I did PM him. Since kcart55 hasn't posted anything since 2012 I presume he no longer owns the car.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
That’s cool you posted, someone else may own the car and do the same search. Internet is a great place when it’s used for good.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
I sent him a message: his reply: Hello, I still own the Camaro! It’s sitting in my garage in Fl. You can email me at [email protected]and I’ll send a bunch of photos. Thank you, Kevin Carter

·
Registered
340 Posts
I sent him a message: his reply: Hello, I still own the Camaro! It’s sitting in my garage in Fl. You can email me at redacted and I’ll send a bunch of photos. Thank you, Kevin Carter
Hey, he might not like you sharing his email address in a public forum. I wouldn't. How about you edit your post to delete that.

·
Premium Member
6,550 Posts
I think thats great that you made contact!!

Reactions: parkbrau
1 - 13 of 13 Posts