Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can you buy these individually? Most everywhere Ive checked so far have them advertised as a set of 8. This thing only fell approx. 2 feet...are hyperutectic pistons that brittle?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Can you buy these individually? Most everywhere Ive checked so far have them advertised as a set of 8. This thing only fell approx. 2 feet...are hyperutectic pistons that brittle?
Yeah, kinda brittle. I'm sure it would have happened to a forged piston as well. Pistons are not designed to withstand the slap of a rod against the skirt.

Throw it away....if you bend it back, it's not going to be strait, you can weld it up, but it's gonna need balancing and then you will be taking a gamble using it. Do yourself a favor and buy a new one, balance it to the others and your good to go.

BTW....you should be able to buy a single piston. You just need to talk to the right guy.

Call THESE GUYS. And ask if there is a specific part number for a single piston LIKE THIS. They may not be able to sell to you directly, but they might be able to point you in a direction.

Hope this helps,

~Joe

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
are hyperutectic pistons that brittle?

yes, they are brittle, more brittle than forged pistons. :thumbsup: i knew i learned something in my materials class, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts