Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to hook up a Crane Hi-6N CD ignition to a Mallory Unilite with optical trigger. Need help deciphering which wires go where. I don't see any instructions for using the Hi-6N with the Unilite. Here is a link to the main Hi-6N pdf: http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/90007500a.pdf

Also, will the Hi-6N work with a Blaster 2 coil or does it require a Crane PS or LX92?

Any assistance appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure on how to hook this up correctly, but be aware that the Unilite may not be your best choice of distributors. I have used this distributor and it the module has failed on me more than once. I have also talked to several guys about the unilite, one guy actually had this distributor on his 67 and it malfunctioned causing the engine to detonate at high RPM's. I just wanted to let you know my experiences with this to avoid anyone from having as much misfortune that I have endured with this distibutor.:sad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I must have bought a bad one, or didn't hook it up quite correctly. I have had mine for almost two years and have always had one problem or another. I may have one for sale if anyones interested.

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
I wish I could help you but that Crane box has different wire colors than the Mallory distributor, which has 3 wire colors, red, which goes to coil positive (+), green, which goes to coil negative (-) and brown, which goes to engine ground.

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
The wiring diagram shows the hook up for a Crane Cam Optically Triggered Distributor which has a violet wire, green wire and a red wire.....Could you look up the wiring for this distributor if you were going to just hook it up to the coil....I have an idea but I need to confirm the wiring hook up to the coil.....Also, it appears you'll need the Crane E-Core type coil, LX92 or PS92.

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
Hang on, I'll have to jump on Mallory's site and look up the hook up for a Hyfire Electronic Ignition Control Box, this box should be something like you have.....I know for sure the red wire is 12 volt+ both on your box and distributor.....The violet, green and brown wires are heating up my brain however!:yes::mad:.....Hang on!

·
Banned
3,176 Posts
I know that the red wires on the ignition control and distributor is 12 volt (+) to the ignition switch....I believe the green wire on the distributor would be the trigger wire and would hook up to the violet wire (+) #2 on the control box and if this control box has an internal ground then the distributors brown wire would hook up to the control boxes green wire (-) #1.....NOTE: DO NOT TRY THIS UNTILL YOU CONTACT CRANE CAM TECHNICAL SUPPORT TO CONFIRM!.....Tech Line: 386-258-6174

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your assist Badbird. I agree that the green wire from the unilite is the trigger wire. There is not a violet wire on the Hi-6N control box. On the other Hi-6 boxes, I believe this would go to the white wire. However, the docs on the Hi-6N box show the white wire as being the tach out. This is where my confusion lies. I'll contact Crane support again.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
My 2 cents... looks like the HI-6N only has a mag trigger input, and it won't work with points-style output from the Unilite. You need a mag trigger distributor (or an optical that emulates the output of a mag trigger, like the Crane optical). Or you need something like the plain street/strip HI6 that has a points input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts