Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,well i admit i lost the directions for the setup on my crane adjustable vaccum can.does a clockwise rotation of the allen screw increase or decrease the number of degrees of vaccum advance?if i remember correctly,a clockwise rotation decreass travel of the bar.but my car seems to be lying to me as it seems to rattle (detonate)actually piing at med throttle in second gear.i am thinking this could be an exhaust leak i am hearing,as the original system has become quite loose.the ping seemed to get louder with a 2-4 turn screw in of the allen screw

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ps i am at 36*@3000 with the vac limiter set at what i believeis the 12

oops! degree limit position(3rd from the longest cam on the cog.can anyone help clarify this?

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
The allen screw adjustment is for the spring perload. This changes the amount of engine vacuume (HG) needed to pull the vac advance. Big camshafts with low vacuum need light spring. A stock engine with good idle vacuume will use stiffer spring. The Crane kit has a small cam adjuster you install on the vac can hold down screw that limits the vac can rod travel which sets the amount of vac adv.
Try the car with the vac can hose plugged off to see if your mach adv is giving you the ping. I work on mech adv first then dial in vac adv later. If springs are too light or intial is too high your mach adv will cause pingging.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i get no ping at all with the setup as is at wot.the rattle i get is between 2000 and 2500 rpm at about 30% throttle in 2nd gear.i am getting a "search for advance condition"too and as i have one lghtest and one medium spring on the dist advance weights(all mr. gasket),i'll bet i need to go up a notch in spring weight.so i'll give it a try and let you know how that works out.but my original question still stands,does a clockwise turn of the advance screw raise or lower the point of vaccum that the distributor responds to?
thanks for your reply and in "advance" to anyone else that might respond!
Eric

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks sb!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
At this point, I would try to leave the centrifugal alone and keep adjusting the canister and limiter cam until the ping goes away.

You may end up going up a notch on the vacuum advance limiter cam but I would first verify the operation of the can vs. your cruise vacuum. Adjust the vacuum advance canister so it is "all in" at cruise vacuum levels but loose enough to allow the advance to back off as the load increases and the vacuum drops. If you have the spring set in the ballpark, that should do it. If you still have ping even with the canister set just a little under the cruise vacuum amount, you might want to move up a notch or two on the limiter cam. Hope this helps.

-Mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.