Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting a crate engine in my 68 RS. Has anybody use a GM part # 12499529? It’s a 350 with 290 HP. I have an Edelbrock performer aluminum intake and 600 cfm Edelbrock carb with headers. I know its low compression but that's ok for my use (not a big race fan) I'm just looking for reliability and a little performance. The 327 that is in it needs too much work and has Fuelie heads that a machine shop is telling me need about $800 of work. If it were a #'s car I would spend what ever it took to get it running, but it's not.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Are you in Batavia, NY or is Batvaia correct? If so, did you happen to buy the motor from a guy near Buffalo? I picked up the same motor from him and he mentioned someone in Batavia just picked one up. If so, can't beat that price. I'm swapping in some other heads that will bump up the compression and give it a little more HP. I bought the GM recommended manifold and dizzy off ebay for about 1/2 of the new cost. It took a couple of weeks of watching to find them. I have a Carter Competition Series 600cfm carb (on Ebay now) that I was going to use, but I think I'm going with a new Gen IV holley street avenger.

I wasn't looking to have a high HP motor either. I happen to have a different set of heads that will work better, so I'm putting them on. I'll put the low compression heads on another 350 I have for my Nova.

-Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it's Batavia Illinois. I'm thinking buying it from Jeg's. They seem to have the best price.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That looks like a good engine for the money, and runs on 87 octane to boot. IIRC the GMPP 290HP/350 crate is the Goodwrench 350 with the Corvette L-82 camshaft.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Check your local Chevy dealer if they cut you a deal they should be cheaper than anyone else and you do not have to pay shipping. Goodluck.

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
over the last four years I have bought two from our local chevy dealer..........$1250 for the first on in 2002 and one last year for $1550.
30,000 miles on the first one........had a ring turn within 12, 000 and they fixed it at no cost. it has a 650 eldb carb and runs really good.
the second one has 5,000 miles on it with no problems.........runs great.........I elected better gas mileage and used a 500 cfm eldb and it does lack the power that the 650 does. save your parts from your old engine........cost more than you think for pulleys, brackets, etc.....
good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ps.........buy locally from dealer so they will help you if there is a problem......make sure they give you the warranty paperwork.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Try Lattof Chevrolet in Arlington Hts.( Crate engine depot ) , they will even let you pick it up , no shipping fees .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
P.S. Anyone know what a melonized distributor gear is?? And how would I tell if I already have one?

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
These come from GM, There are the stock iron gears. If you are installing a new cam, its cheap insurance to get a new one if the cam requires it. Billet steel cams require brass or poly gears.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts