Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is a good company where i can buy crate engines online?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Good one Bob!!! All things being equal I would buy from someone who is close to you where you can go pick the crate motor up yourself because thoses babies cost ALOT to ship.

Tell us what area of the country do you live in and I'm sure we could give you some specific suppliers that are close to you????

Another thing to consider is that most Dealers will price match with other dealers so in this way you might be able to get a great price from your local dealer assuming you are going to purchase a GM crate motor.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 08-28-2000).]

·
Registered
165 Posts
On the back page of the performance parts book is a list of the largest crate engine and parts dealers.Find the one nearest to you and shop them.I know for a fact that the large dealers buy for a lower price than the small dealers because of volume.I have priced and bought 502 big blocks and others several times and you can save between one and several hundred dollars by shopping around.The other step is to call your buddy a the local GM store and have him run a locate on the engine part number you want and call that dealer to check for a truck load price and will that dealer pass on the price to your buddy,some will and some wont.I know this because I am a GM/JEEP/GMC Dealer.Good luck and dont tell em where you heard it.You will beat the heck out of the online pricing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good question ? Are there any crate engine dealers in the NJ/NJ/CT area ?

I don't have a Performance catalog yet..all that I can find are Pace, Sgoggin's, Salle
Chevy...but they're not close.

Thanx

·
Registered
190 Posts
John, this is what I did when I was looking for the ZZ-502-502. I saw the engine in Ohio at Jim Pace Performance when I was coming back from Cleaveland buying parts for my project. Pace Performance wanted 6402.76 in April for a fully assembled 502. When I got back home I called all the big performance dealers and made a list of their prices for the same engine. You will see a difference in the price for the same motor. Then I went to the GM Goodwrench Dealer locator site and put in my zip code and it'll tell you all the dealers near you. Now the one that'll give you the best price is Richard Lucas Chevrolet in Avenel NJ. It's 1/2 hour past the Staten Island Bridge. His price was 6250.00 for the fully assembled engine(cash). Some time in May there was a price increase, not much though about 3%. If you want to call them their number is 732-634-0100. Ask for Bob. When I bought the motor I asked how much for another one for a freind of mine here in Conn. and he said about 200.00 more with the increase. Well he doen't have the money for it so tell Bob in GM parts Dept. that Bob Fisher from Conn. refered you.
With Lucas Chevrolet being 1/2 past the Staten Isl. Bridge you can pick up the motor, It'll save you 200.00 in shipping. I bought the motor and put a Hughes T-400 with an All. drive shaft from Denny's, and bought a Currie 9" rear with 370 gears. I've tried a few different tires and the BFG 275-60-15 Comp TA Drag radials grab the road the best. The motor has 502 HP. at 5200 rpm. It is a blast to drive. Good luck and I hope this helps you. If you have questions send me a message.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts