Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a Blueprint Motors 383 in my 67 and the intake manifold is leaking. I made the mistake of using the end seal gaskets instead of RTV(forgive my ignorance, it was my first time installing an engine). I've driven the car a handful of times (probably less than 100 miles) with the leak and it's smoking fairly bad out of the breathers on the valve covers. More than just normal blow by. Could the oil leak have damaged a head gasket? I'm planning on re-installing the intake manifold this weekend and I'm wondering if I should replace head gaskets too.

·
Registered
910 Posts
First off you should not have any blowby coming out of the valve covers .Do you have a properly working PCV system on your engine ,you should . You said less than 100 miles . Did you breakin the engine properly to seat the rings . There is a procedure for it discussed many times on here. there is nothing wrong with using the rubber end rails vs rtv but there is a way to do it without problem . 1 washthe end rails with break clean and dry also the top of the block. 2 when dry smear the top of the block with a light coat of "THE RIGHT STUFF GASKET MAKER" or 3M YELLOW WEATHER STRIP CEMENT and let dry. 3 Another light smear of "THE RIGHT STUFF" ONLY on the top then 4 dots at the corners .4 Then place your intake down carefully bolt it up by hand in the proper sequence torque to 30 ft/lbs and you should be good to go. I have done them both ways mostly with the end pieces for 40 yrs and never a problem. Check out your new engine to make sure that you have no problem's like a cracked ring or broken ring land etc . do not exclude anything because its new . Things happen . Alex

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Verify that what you see is not just steam....keep in mind we can't see what you see so one person's emergency might be considered normal to someone else. If you don't drive the car much or for long trips a lot of condensation builds in the crankcase and just boils out once the engine gets hot so does it only do it hot or when cold also? You should not really have blow by at idle unless it's serious. Head gasket would not be affected either way.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yeah, I don't think an leaking intake gasket results in what you are describing. Typically if it is not sealed properly it will leak water or oil which you will visibly see. I could be wrong and I have had an gasket that did not seat properly (near the dist) and it causes an oil leak but the car otherwise runs fine. Never had one leak water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts