Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am getting closer to that engine. In fact mine finally broke. I have 327/230 hp standard with original power glide. It is a daily driver and not going to be a race car like all the rest I see. I have decisions to make though. I am looking at the performance GM 350cu/290. Do you think this motor is good? I read the 350ci/330hp has a 327 cam. I know more horse power but the the problem is the heads are different (later style-Vortec) and they won't bold to my pulleys. I also don't know if my pglide could take it. Most my parts around my engine have lifetime warranties and I replace them often so they are in good shape. When I get a motor I will make sure to purchase the balancer and a water pump. I will change my 2bbl/intake/air cleaner. I don't want to change anything else. I just need transportation now until I buy something near the end of the year. Then I can hang back and still drive it a few days a week. Might as well enjoy it. The other thing, I don't want to dump tons of money into something that is out on the streets and subject to getting stolen down the line. Any recommendations how to keep that from happening is welcomed. So, you can see why I want to be conservative. At this moment I am searching for a mechanic and they are expensive. So what do you think? I want to get at least the same performance that I had with the 327. Do you think it will do the job?

Any thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
290 horse is the old Target Master stock 350 cid replacement motor, built to be sold cheaper than you could rebuild a motor. It won't impress many but it will have better performance than your old 327, if for no other reason than more cubes burning gas.

The late model blocks still have the same bolt holes that came with the 1955 265 to mount the engine and accessories. Your brackets and pulleys will work with a short water pump (these engines all have long pumps), so it will have to be changed over. I would not recommend a motor transplant to a novice (it isn't difficult, but to be done safely it requires the proper equipment), but most mechanics will swap one for about $600 or so on a car of your vintage (no electronic wire looms or extra parts to meet smog requirements simplify install).

The 330 horse motor adds better heads and cam that are not present in the Target Master (Vortec heads with hotter roller hydraulic cam). It will give about the same mileage as the Target Master with but with better performance. It will be a good base to add aftermarket parts to get you into the one horse per cube range latter; but even this motor won’t make much more, and still remain reliable because of cast production line parts used to build it. Above the one horse per cube it is time to think premium parts that come with a premium price.

Larger Dave

·
Registered
601 Posts
i bought the zz4 engine from gm for 3800.00 only thing that you need to do is put old water pump on but be careful to bolts on timing cover heads are too big when putting on short water pump you will crack it.(trust me from experience) i ground the heads down and is fine than all pulleys lined right up. you need a 4 barrel carb, spark plug wires, exhaust. water and oil pressure guages. comes with intake pan harmonic balancer distributer water pump but late style. forgot if it came with auto flywheel i think so if not you need later model flywheel there around 40 bux cheap in aftermarket.it is 9-1 or 9-5 to 1 compression can run reg gas 355 hp 427 foot lbs of torque. any chevy transmission will bolt up to retain all other stock parts.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
ZZ4 is a great motor....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here's your choices:
12499529 - 290/350 Crate Engine - New
*Free 48 State Shipping
Pace Price $1,998.95

12486041 - 350 HO Crate Engine
*Free 48 State Shipping
Pace Price $2,769.95

24502609 - ZZ4 Crate Engine, 355HP "Best Seller"
*Free 48 State Shipping
Pace Price $4,249.95

Your powerglide should be able to handle any of these motors although you won't be able to enjoy the fun factor with a powerglide. If you have a powerglide, you likely have 2.73 gears. With 2.73 gears and a powerglide, you need torque and hp in the lower rpms. The ZZ4 strengths are in the higher rpms.
You will see a huge performance jump from your 327 to any of these. I think the ZZ4 is overkill for your needs. It's more than double the price of the 350/290. Either the 350/290 or the 350/330 will work for you. The 350/330 has vortec heads so you need a vortec intake manifold and your valve covers from you 327 will not fit (but the motor all ready comes with new valve covers). The ZZ4 has 10:1 compression will likely require premium gas while the other two should probably be ok with regular.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
824 Posts
You can get the 290hp motor shown above with torque converter and transmission (TH350) all from Summit Racing 1800 + 100 + 650 = 2500 (add shipping) and have a car that performs 50% better than the one you have, more friendlly at the pump, and VERY dependable for very little cash. Bolting on accessories should not be a problem. All should be a direct bolt in/bolt on.

This is absolutely the way I would go.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
290 horse is the old Target Master stock 350 cid replacement motor, built to be sold cheaper than you could rebuild a motor. It won't impress many but it will have better performance than your old 327, if for no other reason than more cubes burning gas.

The late model blocks still have the same bolt holes that came with the 1955 265 to mount the engine and accessories. Your brackets and pulleys will work with a short water pump (these engines all have long pumps), so it will have to be changed over. I would not recommend a motor transplant to a novice (it isn't difficult, but to be done safely it requires the proper equipment), but most mechanics will swap one for about $600 or so on a car of your vintage (no electronic wire looms or extra parts to meet smog requirements simplify install).

The 330 horse motor adds better heads and cam that are not present in the Target Master (Vortec heads with hotter roller hydraulic cam). It will give about the same mileage as the Target Master with but with better performance. It will be a good base to add aftermarket parts to get you into the one horse per cube range latter; but even this motor won’t make much more, and still remain reliable because of cast production line parts used to build it. Above the one horse per cube it is time to think premium parts that come with a premium price.

Larger Dave
Where you been larger dave havent seen a post from you in a while?

·
Registered
601 Posts
remember before you buy from dealer check out jegs or summit they got the same motors as gm dealer does check price before you buy i got mine from dealer after i told them i can get it fom jegs for cheaper than they dropped there drawers and gave me same price. now if motor goes bad in warranty time they pay you or they put in new motor for no charge

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am looking at performing the same type swap as you are and I can see why it's a hard decision for you. I have searched gm crates on the internet and by phone and decided to give it a rest for a couple of weeks. Jegs appears to me to have the best deal for my situation.They have the 350/290 with a kit containing the HEI distributor, an Edelbrock aluminum intake and 4 barrel carb, chrome valve covers and gaskets for $2346.99 + $139 shipping, see item 809-12499529K3. That makes it about the same as the 330hp motor by itself. All of the 327 parts you have should bolt right up to the 350/290. Good luck on your swap.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
remember before you buy from dealer check out jegs or summit they got the same motors as gm dealer does check price before you buy i got mine from dealer after i told them i can get it fom jegs for cheaper than they dropped there drawers and gave me same price. now if motor goes bad in warranty time they pay you or they put in new motor for no charge
Ditto I bought mine from Summit after I had been workin the G.M. guy about their crates...his jaw dropped as well...he even said he could not have beaten Summits price. Good working with the summit guys too! always pretty knowledgeable and I credit carded the deal and 5 days later its sittin at Yellow freight waiting on me to pick it up or them to deliver it!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought one from a local person who works at the engine plant near Buffalo. I think they can buy them from the plant. I don't know why or how much, but mine cost $800 which is about half of Jegs. Mine had a dent in the valve cover, but was still in the original crate, original wrapping, etc. Check out http://www.racingjunk.com/post/846209/350-GM-Peformance-Crate-Motors.html. This is not the same person I bought mine from. Since they are already crated, they are pretty easy to ship and cheap if you can pick it up at the dock.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have a ZZ4 in my '68 now. It runs 12.30's. It's a decent engine. But I'm pulling it and installing a 408 sbc.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I got mine @http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/nbspnbspSmall-Blocks-C53.aspx
ITs a great engine for the $ mid range is its best area. It wont snap your neck but its strong enough. Everything bolts up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a 350 290 hp from Jegs. Right around $1700 delivered to my door. I painted it chevy orange and bolted on my stuff from my old tired 327.. It runs great! No too fast but I don't race either. Its just a good reliable engine and runs off 87 pump fuel..3" flowmaster exhust make it sound pretty sweet too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts