Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of having a second battery such as one of the XS Power AGM Batteries, to run radio and such while the car is parked but would like to wire it in so it wouldn't drain the main battery but would charge when car is running. I have a trunk mounted main battery Odyssey Drycell Batteries 34-PC1500T with a on/off battery disconnect, a 250amp fuse inline direct to the starter. I did not go the ford solenoid route, yet. Nothing is "done" as of now so still time to modify.
How would I go about doing something like this? Jumper wires from the main battery to the aux battery before the cut off switch, radio and acc wired to the aux battery, then it would charge when i turn the cutoff back on but would need a separate cut off from main battery to avoid draining it.
Kind of just thinking out loud here... :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
My wake board boat had a huge system in it. I used a solenoid when the engine was running the solenoid was closed and all 4 batteries would charge.
Key off solenoid was open and stereo and engine start battery isolated, worked perfect for 8 years. I did a couple other boats for friends the same way.
I like the solenoid, some guys like the isolators.

Simple,clean, small package,positive disconnect, Cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SGP32-Battery-Relay-Isolator/dp/B001HBYXVS

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Painless Performance makes a harness for off road vehicles. It will discharge one battery when the user is camping. This is the model: Painless 40103.

It is not cheap, 150.00, for the harness and solenoid. The batteries have to be identical if you are going to recharge them in parallel.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Or you could use a fully sealed motor cycle battery tucked up under the dash with an isolating solenoid that would only become part of the car's charging circuit when the ignition is on. A battery for a big bike should power a radio for hours, while still being small in size.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I dont know that I am buying into the cable rearranging in the attachment unless the charging cables are marginal in the circuit. All three are parallel circuits. Fooling around with the wiring doesnt change anything.

·
Registered
422 Posts
the early VW Westfalia's did this for years. One battery for the vehicle, and a spare battery for camping (interior lights, sink pump to draw water from a 5 gallon tank).This camper battery would also charge from the vehicle generator when the vehicle was running.

If you google VW westfalia dual battery charging, you'll get lots of threads and youtube vids on how to set it up.

·
13,718 Posts
I guess I’m not seeing the need. Just start the engine after sitting a while.

Unless you have a big amp with subs blasting the radio really doesn’t draw much juice.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,283 Posts
I have a continuous duty solenoid wired between my two batteries. I didn't replace the van battery but bought new auxiliary. The solenoid has four terminals, two battery cable size and two small ones. One small needs to be grounded the other has Ignition feed to it. the Large terminals go to the batteries. I used a side mount battery cable for dual batteries under the existing starter cable with a bolt for dual cable connection on the van battery. I never noticed any issues with charging or battery life in the year or two I used the set up. the rear battery powers an inverter that powers lights and key machines.

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts