Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent the last three hours calling credit card companies and closing all my accounts! I was ripped off $3500.00 due to credit card fraud/identity theft. I will have quite a few more hours filing reports, phone calls etc. I caught it in time..because the card they hit had a $10,000 limit and all I had was a $39.00 charge on it prior to this rip off. I will not be responsible for the charges however it still stinks. The thing is that I always check the balances every week and this charge was made last friday. Do yourself a favor and be sure to check your accounts and check your statements to be sure they are accurate. The old line " it will never happen to me " is no longer valid! It can happen so beware!

Kev

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got slammed on Feb 27 for $2800 it was my Debit card Citi bank called me 2 weeks ago to let me know ... now I will start looking at my accounts a little closer

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Whoa....Kev.....good thing you caught it quick, but that really bites. Feels just like having something stolen, I'm told. I guess I've been lucky with all the online buying I do. I won't have a debit card. I've heard they are really easy to use by a fraud. Sorry to hear about this and all your time the jerks stole too now, needing to get it straightened out....dirt bag, scum suckers......there I feel better now.....:D

·
Registered
518 Posts
I noticed a charge on my Visa that I use for purchasing my car parts. I have used it maybe 5 times in the last two years. I used it on March 15th to hold a room at a bed and breakfast and then paid cash for the bill. On March 27th I received my billing and found a charge for Match.Com, which I didn't make. Called the number listed for Match.Com and they told me that they felt it was an unauthorized use. I asked for more info and was told it was referred to their fraud unit and they would contact me. I checked my account on-line and found another charge for Americansingles.Com. Called the bank and they cancelled my card and issued another one. I asked them to please keep me advised of what info they had obtained so that I might know where my card was used. So far all I have gotten is a letter stating the bank will followup and let me know. I did receive a letter wanting me to sign that stated they would prosecute if I authorized the use. Since I very rarely use the card (always like to pay in cash to avoid any problems like this) it really made me mad. I just wish that I was able to get some info without having to rely on the bank. Since the charges were actually stopped before any real harm was done, I'm afraid the bank will not go any further in an attempt to discover who may have used the card. Hard on me since I'm a retired Detective and don't have access to the info from the bank. Anyway, just be careful using your card. It can happen and more that likely will get worse before it gets better. :(

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I had one of my cards whacked a couple month's ago, too. Looked like an employee of someone I actually did business with did it. Several charges over a weekend in California. I had no clue till I tried to use the card again the next monday and it was declined. Called citibank and was transfered straight to thier fruad department, they had all ready caught the problem, taken the suspect charges off, and cancelled my card. They got me a new card my the following morning. Citibank is really really good about paying attention to this kinda stuff. They've called me several times over the years to verify large purchases.

Kev, why did you spend all that time cancelling everything?
That's usually not nesessary, generally it's just one card that someone get's the number of.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
How ?? Do you buy stuff online ? Tell me how you guys get taken like this ... Im very careful when I use my card . I know it dont mean Squat , but at least I try to be careful .

Like when I go to the Bank and I can never remember my account number and they always ask me " Whats your Social " really loud . and I write it on a paper and hand it to them and then I get it back and then I burn it when I get home !!

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kev, why did you spend all that time cancelling everything?
That's usually not nesessary, generally it's just one card that someone get's the number of.
Jim,
Its because the company who provided the card , services other vendors under their own name. As an example, Best Buy is one who utilizes the same major company to provide a card in their name. You can't just call the main office of the company to get the other cards closed. To be honest, I am not taking any chances and closed them all and setup a new card with a different user, password etc.

Kev

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How ?? Do you buy stuff online ? Tell me how you guys get taken like this ... Im very careful when I use my card . I know it dont mean Squat , but at least I try to be careful .

Like when I go to the Bank and I can never remember my account number and they always ask me " Whats your Social " really loud . and I write it on a paper and hand it to them and then I get it back and then I burn it when I get home !!

Rob, this wasn't an online thing and it wasn't that anyone had access to my credit card. I have a feeling a local store who had access to two of my credit cards and info due to a major pruchase at their store. I can't say any more at this time but....
Kev

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
My citibank is a business card, 35k limit, and we use it A LOT. 2 cards on the account, buys all our gas, car repairs, camaro parts, and a lot of small stuff we buy for the business. 4-8k a month is typical. In many cases, we're reading the card number to a stranger over the phone. Just no choice some of the time, other times it's supposedly secure websites.

All it takes is for you to drop a carbon of a live credit card slip in a trash bin and someone to take it out.

I remember the details of the last time for me now... Coincidentally, I had recieved a new card in the mail the previous week. When I talked to citibank after my card was declined, they told me the charges in california over the weekend totalled about 4 grand, AND THE PERSON HAD ACTUALLY USED A CARD, A REAL ONE! So when someone at CitiBank cranked out my new card the previous week, he or she MADE A SECOND ONE FOR HIM/HER SELF!!

The good thing is, the only time you're really screwed is if you lose your wallet. A bad guy can get the number off one of your cards in a million different ways, but that's all they have is the number of one card.

And when it comes to credit cards, the cardholder is always right. Why you ask? Well, there are three parties to any credit card transaction, the cardholder, the merchant, and the bank that issued the credit card.

The cardholder can use this peice of plastic to get things, and is free (basically) to pay the bank whenever they get around to it.

The bank issued this peice of plastic, and acts as a middleman. They hope you won't be able to pay your bill, so they can charge you interest, but their certain money comes form the 3% the merchant pays visa/mastercard!

And guess what? In order to get the privelkedge of accepting this peice of plastic instead of real money, the merchant has to give visa/mastercard TOTAL ACCESS to thijuer bank account. Yup, the credit card company can deposit money in the merchants account anytime they want, and THEY CAN TAKE IT OUT TOO!

So the bank has nothing to lose. They side with the cardholder everytime, because the merchant is STUCK.

Just don't lose your wallet

·
Registered
120 Posts
what really happened is, YOU didn't get ripped off and the CREDIT CARD CAMPANY didn't get ripped of , But the MERCHANT that took the stolen numbers got ripped off, They are the ones who lose out. the credit card company goes into their account and just takes the money back. I'm a small business owner and I will NEVER and I mean NEVER accept a credit card in my place of business unless the user has a picture ID, sometimes people get mad when my employees insists on an ID, But heck it's also for their protection . So although it's a hassle for you, you in the end will not be out any money. One thing you might want to do though is what my wife did when someone stole her pocketbook in Dec. and she went through the same thing you had to do only with a bunch of cards, she called one of the consumer credit rating bureaus and had them place a hold on any new credit for 6 months, and had them attach a password to her credit so I anyone tries to open an account in her name anywhere they would have to know the password before the credit could be issued.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave..it stinks because you never know how or who did it. The only way is if a family member or employee stole your card and used it then then will come after them. When its a major company with internal problems..its hush hush.

Kev

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
she called one of the consumer credit rating bureaus and had them place a hold on any new credit for 6 months, and had them attach a password to her credit so I anyone tries to open an account in her name anywhere they would have to know the password before the credit could be issued.

Harold..
I did that last night...it was part of the three hour phone session last night. I can remove the alert any time I want.

Kev

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
what really happened is, YOU didn't get ripped off and the CREDIT CARD CAMPANY didn't get ripped of , But the MERCHANT that took the stolen numbers got ripped off, They are the ones who lose out. the credit card company goes into their account and just takes the money back. I'm a small business owner and I will NEVER and I mean NEVER accept a credit card in my place of business unless the user has a picture ID, sometimes people get mad when my employees insists on an ID, But heck it's also for their protection . So although it's a hassle for you, you in the end will not be out any money. One thing you might want to do though is what my wife did when someone stole her pocketbook in Dec. and she went through the same thing you had to do only with a bunch of cards, she called one of the consumer credit rating bureaus and had them place a hold on any new credit for 6 months, and had them attach a password to her credit so I anyone tries to open an account in her name anywhere they would have to know the password before the credit could be issued.
My wife has had her purse stolen before and it is a real pain to have everything cancled and reissued. She cancled everything within the hour and charges were still allowed on the card. What was so ridicules was that she had her picture on the front of the card (she is white) and the person who was charging ( she was black). This was proved by security camaras. When she received her new cards she did not sign the back where it says to sign. Instead she wrote see ID and you will not beleive how many people just ignore this and go ahead and run the card without asking for an ID.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Heck when my wifes was stolen the person they caught on camara at the local Stop andShop using her credit card to buy 189.99 worth of cigarettes at 1:30 in the morning was a GUY! And the cashier never even looked at the card let alone ask for an ID. unbeliveable!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just before I retired a local business women purchased an item from a camera store in NYC. She made her payments to a Bank of America in Georgia. Someone at the bank took all of her info plus scanned a copy of her checks and began passing checks all over Atlanta. Within two weeks that had written over $75,000. Purchased computers, items for a nursery etc. The place she had purchased the computer from even took copies of her fictitious ID. She has never been found but must have had friends in the bank ans that was where all the credit info was, along with the name, address, SOC etc of our victim. Talked to the Police in Atlanta and was basically told that they had to many homicides to worry about bad checks. :(

·
Registered
518 Posts
As far as my card goes, I feel that someone who had access to my card's numbers (such as an employee of the bed and breakfast) where I had to use my card to hold the room, took the numbers home and then used it to access the on-line dating. There was a young girl at the desk who I noticed wouldn't look us in the face when we checked in, which I thought was kinda strange. The best advise I can give is to check you purchases as often as you can. No one but me had access to my card and I have always been extremely careful in it's use. Only used it maybe 5 times in the last 2 years, but it happened to me.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
I've never had this happen to be before, but I have a question regarding this. If you have to cancel all your credit cards, does that effect your credit score? or are all the cards just reissued with new account numbers.

Rob, this wasn't an online thing and it wasn't that anyone had access to my credit card. I have a feeling a local store who had access to two of my credit cards and info due to a major pruchase at their store. I can't say any more at this time but....
Kev

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've never had this happen to be before, but I have a question regarding this. If you have to cancel all your credit cards, does that effect your credit score? or are all the cards just reissued with new account numbers.

Buck...
NO..I was told that it will not. I was on the phone with the card fraud department while they contacted Experian. The women at Experian told me that seeing I was a fraud victim that that would put a notation to that effect and it does not hurt my credit status. That was one of my concerns and I was assured it would not hurt me. Yes, I had them close all the old accounts as a precaution and have then issue new cards. Then I created all new passwords. Once I told them of the fraud on the other card, they were happy to close the old cards and reissue.
Kev

Kev

1 - 20 of 20 Posts