Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noted another thread discussing lifting our cars to gain access underneath and cribbing is presented as an option.
The Other Thread

I didn't want to hijack this other thread, so I am starting a fresh thread. Around here hijacking threads is frowned upon. ;)

I have the available lumber and wish to assemble a set. Those with experience; what dimensions work best for you? There are some good Youtube videos with info, below is one.
Youtube Cribbing Video

In another video I saw cribbing to place under the floor jack to allow a few more inches of lift.

So, who's cribbing and what is your design?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I realize they are on the pricey side but I have been VERY happy with my Race Ramps, there are a few different variations and sizes available.

By the time you are done buying materials to build cribbing and your time to make them, the Race Ramps make sense. They are also very light, moving them around and stacking them in the corner of the garage is effortless.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
The way i made mine since the rear wheels are wider that the front is i took 2x3’s (what i used) and chocked them in the front and back and took an outside measurement and did the same on the sides of the wheel. Then i cut the pieces. For added strength i put two extra pieces in the middle for the tire to sit on then put the end pieces to keep the wheel in place.
i have two wide cribs for the rear and two narrower ones for the front. And they stack nicely and since they are 2x3 studs they are pretty light
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
922 Posts
As a fabrication guy ( I use that in the most general sense) I look at the ideal size, then consider the multiple of such.
If you have an 8’ 2x4 …..16” is ideal because it will optimize your resource. IE no waste.
Just a passing thought.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
My Floor jack only lifts up to 21" and I wanted my cribs to be 12", to get the up car high enough I have to go up in 2 stages, first on jack stands then adding a block on the jack for the 2nd lift.
I made the block to interlock with my floorjack's "cup" and I also made some extra stackable pieces.

Planer Wood Glove Gas Machine
Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Wood Gas Rectangle Metal Automotive exterior

I chalked the tires to get my length, also I pre - drilled all my screws holes to make sure they wouldn't split the 2x4's
I made various pieces to stack on top the cribs that fit the pinch weld, and under axle tubes etc. I've used them to install front and rear suspension, remove exhaust, and swap out my Muncie for a Tremec.

Wheel Bicycle Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire
She looks happy when I put her up on a pedestal:).......... Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your input. I have a pair cut out to 12" x 16" dimensions but not yet fastened together. I'll build a second pair after completing these.

What overall height works best?

How do you deal with the front suspension extending the tires out when the jack is lowered? Does this stress the crib or slide it across the floor?

I admit those Race Ramp supports do look nice. But I already have the lumber and fasteners and don't mind building the cribs.

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
Be aware that a 2 x 4 is not really 2" x 4" unless you buy actual dimensional lumber. a commercial 2 x 4 is actually about 1-1/2 x 3-1/2". an 8 stack will get you about 12" rise. But they charge you for the full 2 x 4.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
[QUOTE="Skunk Works, post: 1783330362, member: 11587"
What overall height works best?
How do you deal with the front suspension extending the tires out when the jack is lowered? Does this stress the crib or slide it across the floor?
[/QUOTE]

I would say higher is better, the only drawback is how high your jack will lift. Not a big deal if you use a block on your jack.
As you set the car down on the cribs, the suspension will + camber inward just like it would on your garage floor, the cribs don't move and I don't believe theres a significant side load on them.

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I began assembling the first pair of cribs. This lumber was ripped from larger pieces and measures 1-3/4" thick, so it'll be pretty sturdy. I'll come back with pictures.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine are 16"x14" and 10.25" high. I pre-drilled and glued and screwed which is overkill but I don't worry about the screws snapping.

With my floor jack it's a 2 lift affair for the front but it's not terrible. And I haven't had a problem with them moving around at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I noted another thread discussing lifting our cars to gain access underneath and cribbing is presented as an option.
The Other Thread

I didn't want to hijack this other thread, so I am starting a fresh thread. Around here hijacking threads is frowned upon. ;)

I have the available lumber and wish to assemble a set. Those with experience; what dimensions work best for you? There are some good Youtube videos with info, below is one.
Youtube Cribbing Video

In another video I saw cribbing to place under the floor jack to allow a few more inches of lift.

So, who's cribbing and what is your design?
Works for me.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
Many good responses. I’d look at heights offered by Race Ramps to give you some suggestions. Friend needed my help so we did 10” which is a nice height. Really look at jack max height and give yourself a bit of leeway to clear your new cribs.

·
21,119 Posts
Mine are 16"x14" and 10.25" high. I pre-drilled and glued and screwed which is overkill but I don't worry about the screws snapping.

With my floor jack it's a 2 lift affair for the front but it's not terrible. And I haven't had a problem with them moving around at all.
Outside dimentions ?

I just grabbed a bunch of 2x4's from work from rolls we got shipped in, as they were just going to toss out. SCORE !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Outside dimentions ?

I just grabbed a bunch of 2x4's from work from rolls we got shipped in, as they were just going to toss out. SCORE !
I just made mine to fit the tires that were on the car the time. Front to back I went with a nice tight fit. Placed a 2x4 in front and behind the tire and measured for the side pieces.Mine are 19x12 and 17 tall. I made some additional stackable blocks to extend them up to 26". The downside to going this tall is the dance you get to do with the jack to get it up that high. I made a wooden riser for the jack to sit on. Just remember if you're using a rolling floor jack, if you use something to raise the jack for the extra height you need to make sure the jack can roll as the arm moves up through its arc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts