Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the steering wheel on my 69 Camaro. Before I started I turned the wheel as straight as I could and marked the top center of the steering wheel on the column.

I replaced a small non factory steering wheel with a comfort grip one. The new wheel did not line up with the old one. The base of the comfort grip will only accept the top part in a certain position. I cannot turn it any more because of the horn sleve wiring. Now I have to drive with my wheel pointed at 2:00 to go striaght.

How do you adjust the steering to center the steering wheel? I cannot simply move the steering wheel on the column knuckel. Any help would be greatly appreched.

------------------
Thou shall not convet they neighbor,s Camaro

69 SS350

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Take it to an alignment shop. They can adjust the steering linkage/tie rods to get the wheel straight if you can't adjust the mounting. It's pretty common.

just my .02

joe

------------------
69 Rat-Infested Resti-Clone
WCA Member
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

[This message has been edited by Joe G (edited 12-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Joe G (edited 12-06-2001).]

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Check the lengths of your inner and outer tie rod ends on each side of the car. If they are equally spaces an alignment shop wont be able to adjust a misalignment like you describe. If the tierod spacing is equal you will have to center the wheels left to right, then unbolt and slide the splined coupling off of the steering box input shaft. Then go inside the car and straighten the steering wheel to the 12 O'clock position. On a 69 pull the ignition key out to lock the column as close to 12 O'clock as possible. Then reinstall the coupling back onto the steering box, and tighten the retaining bolt. Then take the car to the alignment shop and have them fine tune it for you.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark and Joe thanks for your help. I was thinking a aliment shop would be able to fix this problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The steering box to coupler will only go on one way.The steering shaft at the attach nut has a line on it that goes at 12:00. The wheel adapter should also have a mark or you are to place it where the horn contact extensin is at around 10 11:00. This should get you in the right range to determine if you need to go to the alignment shop.

·
Registered
91 Posts
if u didnt go to a shop or get it straight yet even if your tierods r equel u can still get it straight end by about usually 90 degrees tops either way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts