Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a rebuilt tilt column from Rick's in my 68 (replaced my non-tilt). I've notice two things about it that are bugging me and I'm wondering if all of them are this way. First, the right side of the steering wheel is about 3/8 closer to the dash than the left. Second, the tilt mechanism seems to be in a diagonal plane instead of straight up and down. Any ideas? Or is this all "normal"?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I just put a rebuilt tilt column from Rick's in my 68 (replaced my non-tilt). I've notice two things about it that are bugging me and I'm wondering if all of them are this way. First, the right side of the steering wheel is about 3/8 closer to the dash than the left. Second, the tilt mechanism seems to be in a diagonal plane instead of straight up and down. Any ideas? Or is this all "normal"?
My Camaro tilt colum has tilt lever perpendicular to column and it moves in a straight up/down pattern.

The turn signal is on a diagonal plane I guess the lever is not straight is all.

Anyone got any pics?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some pics of my crooked column. The tilt lever points kind of downward instead of straight out.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've never had a column apart but on my 73 and 74 Nova's I believe the mounts behind the dash are very similiar.

I wonder if the column was maybe assembled and clocked wrong ?. Like I said I've never had one apart and maybe instead of something being mounted at a 12:00 and 3:00 position it got assembled at an 11:00 and 2:00 position giving you the look you have now like it's slightly twisted counter clockwise ?.

Is it possible that the under column U bracket that bolts onto the threaded studs is maybe reversed and causing this twist ?.

I wonder too if the nuts that thread onto the bolts behind the dash that hold this U bracket are not tight or maybe the bracket is not sitting against something properly.

Could maybe on the left side above this U bracket on the threaded studs there is a nut already run up with the other side with no nut causing the slightly counter clockwise rotation of the column ?. I know I have taken things apart and run nuts back onto things only to look around wondering where they went and find them right where I left them already threaded up fully onto something and if a person was not paying attention not remove these nuts or nut and things don't assemble properly ?.

Jim

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I am quite sure that I know what is wrong with your steering column. The entire tilt head attaches to the steering column jacket (the part that goes down under the dash) by means of a metal part called the Lock Plate. Please download this picture.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/TiltColumnLineDrwg3.doc

The Support attaches to the Lock Plate with four screws. The Lock Plate has four tangs (you can just make them out in the picture.) The tangs are supposed to engage window opening cutouts in the Jacket Assembly. The lock plate and support (with the four screws loose) should be inserted into the open end of the jacket assembly and rotated so that the tangs can cam lock into the cutouts. I am quite sure that the Lock Plate was not completely rotated into the cutouts.

To solve the problem the column should be pulled from the car and the entire column head will have to be disassembled. Since you purchased the steering column as being refurbished, the supplier should make it right.

I have very complete directions on disassembly and repair of the Camaro tilt column. So I am quite sure that you could do it yourself. But it is really the supplier that did a poor job of reassembly.

If you want the directions, they can be found at www.corvettefaq.com in the A and F-Car Steering Section. You will need Paper #1, #2, and #3 as well as Pics #1, #2, and #3. (The address for Pic #3 is above.) Additional help can always be found right here if you want to tackle it yourself.

JIML82

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim! I'll call Rick's in the morning about an RMA.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called Rick's today and got an RMA #, and yanked it out after I got home from work tonight. I forgot that I had a pic that clearly showed how the turn signal hole is clocked relative to the mounting blocks. I set the old (non-tilt) column next to it and could clearly see the new column was clocked wrong by almost the size of the turn signal hole.

Here's that pic I forgot about:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I finally got a replacement column from Rick's yesterday (it was backordered), and it's a lot better than the last one, but still seems like it's clocked slightly counter-clockwise. It also seems like there's more gap between the turn signal cover and my steering wheel adapter than there should be. Is this problem just in my head, is the column mounting somehow crooked, or did I get another improperly assembled column from Rick?

Column out of the car: http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/DSCF4265.html

Column installed: http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/DSCF4266.html

View from above: http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/DSCF4268.html

View from the side: http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/DSCF4271.html

Length of shaft from upper bearing: http://www.blown.net/ls1swap/DSCF4270_editted.html

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Boy, pictures are worth a thousand words or more! Great pictures!!

There just isn't any way that you can mount the column in the car and clock it incorrectly.

I really don't know if the degree of angle on the tilt and turn signal levers are similar to other Camaro's or not. Some of the other members should be able to comment on that. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't exactly horizontal.

I don't think that there is anyway that Rick's could have screwed up the upper end so that the steering wheel adapter would have that gap. I think that the problem is with the adapter. I don't have a good solution for that one.

Jim

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again, Jim. On 70's GM cars I recall the the tilt lever being parallel to the ground, and this one is still rotated a few degrees from parallel.

Anyone else have a 67-68 tilt column that can confirm that tilt lever is parallel to the ground?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a tilt column in my 67 that is broken and about to be replaced with a new one from Rick's. I hope I don't end up getting the one you returned! Were they aware that it was bad when you returned it? BTW although my tilt lever is busted off I can tell you that the flasher knob is at 3 o'clock.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Mine is dead parallel to the ground, not tilted down at all.
Dale

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope I don't end up getting the one you returned! Were they aware that it was bad when you returned it?
Yep, they were aware of it, and I put a post-it note on it describing the problem beford I boxed it up to return it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts