Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've enjoyed reading information here and other places concerning the cross-ram intake on our beloved early camaros. I am curious if anyone knows of any aftermarket maufacturers that make something that is similiar. I am getting things around to redo my 69 camaro. It is missing to many parts for a full restoration. So I am looking to do some modifications that are pleasing to purists and innovative at the same time. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Nobody makes them any more. Edelbrock and Offenhauser made cross rams up til the late 80's, but not any more. Of the two the Edelbrock STR-10 was not a very faithful copy of the GM manifold. Where the Offenhauser is very similar to the GM manifold, with the exeption of the carb operating linkages which was setup to use 2 forward facing holley carbs. The GM used one forward and one rearward facing carb.

See the info on this page:
http://www.camaros.org/crossram.shtml

I've got an old Offenhauser intake and linkage in my garage (actually the one on the CRG page) that I could be convinced to part with for the right price

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

·
Registered
1969 Z/28
47 Posts
The latest PAW catalog shows the Offenhauser manifold with two or maybe three tops available. I know one top is duel carb and one for a single Dominator carb.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
I stand corrected then. Haven't seen a new Offenhauser manifold for quite a while, thought they went under.

I don't have a PAW catalog and Offenhauser doesn't have a website (unless they are part of another company now). Is it a model 5893? For my own info, how much does PAW list the manifold for? Do they list the prices for the other tops, single 4 bbl and 3 - 2 bbls?

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
What you could do is get the Offenhauser with the dual quad top which is almost identical to the GM. Then, grind off the "Offenhauser" and the 2 linkage tabs that stick up. Get the manifold reskinned and it would look very similar to the GM one, only it wouldn't have the casting #'s or snowflake on it. You would still need 2 Holley double pumpers and the GM style linkage and air cleaner which would still cost some $$$. There's really no inexpensive way to do it though.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes & crossram

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, the Offy is still #5893 for the base. Price-237.95. Dual quad top-$112.95. Single quad top-$107.95. THREE Weber top!-$130.95. I also have been thinking about going to the Offy cross-ram. I ran an Edelbrock cross-ram on a '65 Barracuda Formula S car I owned many years ago. I started with the dual Quad and later put a single four on it. It was a blast either way. This was back in 1976 and '77. I loved the crossram on that mopar so I have allways wanted one on my Camaro. Offy seems to be the most reasonably priced and versatile.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a Edelbrock one, And think it looks alot like one. Its a SY1, I emailed Edel. and they said that it was a crossram designed by Smokey Yunik. I emailed them cause I was hoping to get the dual carb setup top plate. Mine has the single top.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oh yea, does anyone know if the cross ram off a 85 or 6 can be converted to carb setup. I spotted one in the junkyard yesterday, and it has dual throttle bodies on it.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Hey Corn,

How the heck are you??

I don't think the ports are big enough in the "cease-fire" crossram manifold that you are asking about. I read someplace that they were about half sized and would really choke an engine down. pdq67

·
10,142 Posts
I talked to Offy a fiew months ago and the manifolds can be ordered directly from them but a better price is available from Summit.
Summit can order them, they are not listed in their catalog.
The manifolds are sold separately as base and top components.
A gasket comes with the base and one with the top.
The weber top is not available anymore.

He said most guys use smaller carbs with vaccum secondaries on the street.
Fuel distribution is a problem on these type manifolds.
The Offy appears to be the same manifold as the GM one, but with a new top that says Offenhauser on it and a couple of bolts are moved on the top to allow removal of the top without having to remove the carbs first.
There are top attachment bolts postitioned under the float bowls on the GM top.
The Offy base seems identical in every way to the GM manifold, other than the missing snowflake for the winters foundry, the top bolt pattern, the GM part numbers.
It does have the fuel distribution dams cast inside identical to the GM casting.
I have an extra single four top for the Offy manifold, if anyone needs one.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Wiend Cross Ram manifold that sets two four barrel carbs side by side. It is low profile and might even fit under a stock hood. I too would part with it for the right price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow guys, nice job. I think you have given me plenty of information to start researching. I never dreamed that I would get as much of a response as I did. I'll keep an eye on other questions posted. However I am not sure if I am up to the caliber of the groups knowledge. Keep up the good work.

Thanks.
Wade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I figured I might as well throw my entire thought pattern out for all of you to give your input on.
My thought is to use a Holley Pro-Jection setup on the intake to birng the car into the modern era. I'm sure I will have a fun time with the electronics on this setup. I am thinking this way for two reasons. One of course is for drivability and performance. The second is to come near to the looks that we had with the original setup, also using most of the cowl induction parts that I have rounded up for this type of engine setup, (including an original Air Cleaner. Not for Sale at all) Now feel rest assured guys, I will not be putting this car on any auction block advertising it as anything original. I am actually thinking of stripping it of it's designation emblems completly. Except for the beloved Cheverolet and Camaro. It was an SS-350 car by Vin. However I cannot even include those emblems on this car with a clean heart. I do plan on taking the car to small local shows and cruise-ins. But I want to do so with a clean heart. I don't like to recieve any flack from purists who take the tremendous time, effort and well deserved pride to restore there machines.

There, now you have my thoughts on the matter. I'll just throw them against the wall and see what sticks.

Oh yeah, one more thing. There are also thoughts in the back of my head to ad giggle juice to the setup to be extremely ornry. You can call me insane if you like.

Thanks for making this a great site to visit.
Wade.

[This message has been edited by BowTieGuy98 (edited 11-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by BowTieGuy98 (edited 11-15-2000).]

·
10,142 Posts
The late gm Corvette crossfire manifold is not wide enough for a dual carb deal.
It used two one barrel throttle bodies.
I think fuel distribution is the biggest problem with any of the crossram manifolds.

A port injection conversion would be interesting, then use two throttle bodies to replace the carbs. You could even use a couple of gutted carbs.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
What would be neat is a Force Injection custom Edelbrock/Offy crossram with welded in injectors at the ends of the intake ports on the lid and a 1000 cfm throttle body on it right in the middle. $2500/$3000 probably, who knows. Call them. pdq67

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
David -

Friend of mine built a tube-frame Grand Sport replica (his is a roadster, mine a coupe) and wanted the authentic look, but driveability too - got an original Moon cross-ram, modified the front for a thermostat housing, did a great cosmetic cleanup on a set of old and otherwise unserviceable Weber 58DCOE's that are used only as throttle bodies with fake fuel lines, welded bungs on the bottom of the runners for Bosch injectors, and now has what appears to be the original cross-ram Weber setup, except it idles and runs beautifully. After all the welding and machine work he did on the Moon (crummy piece of foundry work), he's having patterns made that include the thermostat housing modification and cast-in hidden injector bosses and will be peddling them in a few months. I built several of the Reynolds 430 and 494 BB's for Bruce and Denny's M8B's in 1969 when I was with Chevrolet, and since have always wanted to find one of the Lucas/Kinsler injection setups we used in those days and do the same thing to it - would really make a wild-looking street engine that's driveable......

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 20 of 31 Posts