Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen info for 4L60Es behind an LS engine, but not for a BBC. I wonder if the bellhousing mounting area for the transmission, on an LS, is the same distance to the crossmember that a BBC is? Even then, according to p. 33 in TCI's Transmission book, the 4L60E with a removable bellhousing is 3/4" shorter than the 4L60E & TH 700 which have the one piece case. An ad popped up on this site for a 4L60E crossmember from Rick's Camaro for $38.88, which is good, but I called & couldn't find out which style it fits. Since it also fits the 700, I assume it's the one piece case. I see some universal crossmembers for big $, but haven't found one specifically for the removable bellhousing style case that fits a 68 Camaro. Does anybody know of one ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
I've seen info for 4L60Es behind an LS engine, but not for a BBC. I wonder if the bellhousing mounting area for the transmission, on an LS, is the same distance to the crossmember that a BBC is? Even then, according to p. 33 in TCI's Transmission book, the 4L60E with a removable bellhousing is 3/4" shorter than the 4L60E & TH 700 which have the one piece case. An ad popped up on this site for a 4L60E crossmember from Rick's Camaro for $38.88, which is good, but I called & couldn't find out which style it fits. Since it also fits the 700, I assume it's the one piece case. I see some universal crossmembers for big $, but haven't found one specifically for the removable bellhousing style case that fits a 68 Camaro. Does anybody know of one ? Thanks
The bellhousing to mount measurement is what you need to worry about IMO. Put the engine on it's mounts and make the crossmember fit the trans you use. I'm not aware of one that is offset like a factory style but I don't shop BB parts just small block stuff.

Never heard that or seen it referenced on any sites I've looked at. I'm eventual going 700R4 or 4L60E removable bell as I have both cores to choose from. I'm leaning towards a 4l60E with a mount on the tail shaft if that's a thing as it would be 7/8" different then a 400 in mounting length OR an exact match if your info is mount length and is correct.

Jeff

·
Registered
452 Posts
Unless built very well a 4L60 might not last long behind a BB 502’s torque curve.

Have you considered a 4L80e? Bigger, stronger and unfortunately more expensive option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bellhousing to mount measurement is what you need to worry about IMO. Put the engine on it's mounts and make the crossmember fit the trans you use. I'm not aware of one that is offset like a factory style but I don't shop BB parts just small block stuff.

Never heard that or seen it referenced on any sites I've looked at. I'm eventual going 700R4 or 4L60E removable bell as I have both cores to choose from. I'm leaning towards a 4l60E with a mount on the tail shaft if that's a thing as it would be 7/8" different then a 400 in mounting length OR an exact match if your info is mount length and is correct.

Jeff
The Rick's Camaro crossmember appears to be almost identical to the OE crossmember in shape. I did talk to their Tech dept. He measured the crossmember while I was on the phone. It may fit the one piece case? Based on their measurement, the mounting holes (for the trans mount) would only be 1/8" further away from the engine than my OEM TH 400 crossmember. But the confusing thing about that is that TCI says that the removable bell style 4L60E (from bellhousing to threaded holes for trans mount) is 2 9/16" shorter than a TH 400. I don't see any transmissions that mount on the tail housing, the mount illustrated is at the rear of the case, just before the tail housing. I think I'll do the very thing that you mentioned. I'll installed everything & see if I have to modify the crossmember that I already have. I'd still be interested to hear what someone has done who installed a removable bellhousing style 4L60E. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless built very well a 4L60 might not last long behind a BB 502’s torque curve.

Have you considered a 4L80e? Bigger, stronger and unfortunately more expensive option.
Yes, I did consider the 4L80E. This is offered in a 6 speed, but the extra speeds have to be shifted with buttons. It's heavier as well as having larger external dimensions & like you said, costlier. When I priced it, the price was about $2,500 more than the 4L60E. TCI says that their "Street Fighter" category 4L60E will handle up to 775hp, which should be plenty for me. Their Super Street Fighter will handle more than that. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts