Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Cteck 7002 charger. I have a set of spring ring cables mounted on my 68. Has anyone found a way to hook up the comfort cable to this type of application.
I am thinking something would have to be fabbed up to make it work.

Any suggestions? It just seems a lot more precise than the alligator clips.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
86 views and nobody has an answer. I know this is a strange one. It looks as if Ctek has designed them only for bolt on cables. Or use with the battery clips.
The other option is to use the cigarette lighter. Does anyone know if the cigarette lighter circuit in the 68 Camaro is "always on" and not only when the key is on.
I see the Ctek chargers are optional with the new Corvettes and Camaros.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm guessing it's for your 68 ?. If it's anything like my 68 Nova, on the radiator support there is a junction block that has two wires. One wire is a fusible link that goes to the battery positive post and the other towards the horn relay. You could make your positive connection there.
For the ground, maybe use the same fusible link connection point off of the battery negative post for your ground.
Years ago when I installed Clifford Security systems the trainer and the manufacturer always wanted the main power and ground right on the battery connections but I had a few cars that had post corrosion problems so I moved away from the battery posts but till as close as I could and never had issues.
You could make the connections I called out and if the Ctek does not have a quick disconnect plug, install one to where you could hide the plug behind the battery and under the fender or even somewhere under the car.
Jim

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is for my 68. The Ctek has a quick coupler and that is what I am trying to hook up.
I guess I could buy a set of new style cables and put the spring rings away. I hate to do that because they were very expensive. The coupler is designed to be added to the battery using the bolts that tighten the cable to the post. I figured there was another way to hook it up and I was thinking about the junction block as well. I was hoping that someone has had a similar issue and found a way around it. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The coupler is designed to be added to the battery using the bolts that tighten the cable to the post. I figured there was another way to hook it up and I was thinking about the junction block as well. I was hoping that someone has had a similar issue and found a way around it. Thanks for your input.
There are other ways to hook it up but to me making the connections where the fusible links off of the battery connect to the car is ideal. It's as close as it can be to the battery,the wiring is more easily hidden, there are minimal connections from the charger to the battery, and less chances of corrosion if attached right at the battery terminals.

Jim

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have a question, is this the comfort cable you have?
and does both of your battery cables have the 10 gauge pigtails. If they do connect the comfort cable to these pigtails.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a question, is this the comfort cable you have? Amazon.com: CTEK (56-382) Comfort Indicator Eyelet for M8 Top Post Batteries: Automotive and does both of your battery cables have the 10 gauge pigtails. If they do connect the comfort cable to these pigtails.
No. The Ctek 7002 comes with the aligator clips and a standard m8 cable. The one you are looking at has led eyelets. It is an optional cord. They have several. I would go to the Ctek website and look up accessories. They have several that all use a clip to join them to the charging unit. You can customize your kit to the car you have. The alligator clips are all they have designed for my 68 set up. I am looking for an alternate set up, so I can use the comfort cable.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
How about the battery cables do they have the 10 gauge pigtails? You can always cut the alligator clips off of the comfort cable and install new connectors or terminals on both the comfort cable and the pigtails. You have a battery junction block on the radiator support between the radiator and battery. If you don't have pigtails on the battery cables you can use this for the positive side and where you have your negative battery cable grounded attach the negative wire from the comfort cable.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess nobody is really familiar with the Ctek hook ups. They come with a cable with a set of alligator clips, and another cable called the comfort cable. The Comfort cable has eyelets that would hook up to the battery bolts on a standard battery cable. I know the spring ring cables do not have bolts. Both of the cables have a quick connect to the charger. They also have an optional cable that can use the cigarette lighter socket or any other power socket as they have in new cars. That circuit has to be independant of the ignition key and always on. They are a Swedish company and a lot of the big name manufacturers have them on their options list. Camaro and Corvette are just two. They are designed as a charger / tender.
I am very challenged when it comes to electrical so I am being very cautious.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I can always use the alligator clips.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
The junction block would be an excellent choice for the pos. Another would be the horn relay bus. Both are hot with key off. There is a harness ground handy at either location for the neg.

I use the alligator clips on my batt tender - pos to horn relay bus, neg to a good ground on the core support. Batt is in the trunk. Works just fine.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I guess nobody is really familiar with the Ctek hook ups. ...
Some of us are very familiar with charger connections, no matter who manufactures/sells a unit ;)

You've already been told the best location to use an eyelet type connection - it's the main 12vdc terminal post on the radiator support near the battery :thumbsup:
This terminal supplies power to all the accessories and is the connection for the alternator output to the battery - so if it's good enough to charge the battery when running, it should be just fine when charging at rest ...

I have 'easy' (comfort/convenient/handy-cable/ready-port/whatever-a-given-manufacture-calls-theirs ...) on all my boats, most of the tractors and trucks and even on my street toys to allow me to move my 'Smart-Charger's' and 'Battery-Tenders' from vehicle to vehicle as needed.
They cost me @$5 each at most marine suppliers.
Look like this - Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Ring-Terminal-Harness-with-Black-Fused-2-Pin-Quick-Disconnect-Plug-0.jpg

All are attached as close to the battery, or actually on the battery on marine applications that have terminals on the battery for this :cool:

You could always replace your battery with a marine starting battery - then the connections you need are right on the top next to posts for your original spring-ring cables :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of us are very familiar with charger connections, no matter who manufactures/sells a unit ;)

You've already been told the best location to use an eyelet type connection - it's the main 12vdc terminal post on the radiator support near the battery :thumbsup:
This terminal supplies power to all the accessories and is the connection for the alternator output to the battery - so if it's good enough to charge the battery when running, it should be just fine when charging at rest ...

I have 'easy' (comfort/convenient/handy-cable/ready-port/whatever-a-given-manufacture-calls-theirs ...) on all my boats, most of the tractors and trucks and even on my street toys to allow me to move my 'Smart-Charger's' and 'Battery-Tenders' from vehicle to vehicle as needed.
They cost me @$5 each at most marine suppliers.
Look like this - View attachment 109889

All are attached as close to the battery, or actually on the battery on marine applications that have terminals on the battery for this :cool:

You could always replace your battery with a marine starting battery - then the connections you need are right on the top next to posts for your original spring-ring cables :thumbsup:
The only reason I said that was that one of the posters did not seem to know that the "comfort cable" came with eyelets.
I finally got a chance to move everything out of the way and took a look at the post on the firewall. I will hook up the eyelet to that, and I will use the ground from the negative cable that is attached to the fender. This was what I was looking for. A alternate hook up for the cable. It will make it a lot easier to keep my Battery going. I have had a lot of trouble with Batteries due to the small amount of use my car gets. I had a brand new GM Delco battery go bad on me in less than 6 months. I got a new one but have not installed it yet. I am looking at keep this one charged.
Thanks for all you help and I will try this soon.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hey,we all like pictures and to help this thread along, here's PICTURES !!!!!!!

This is what I found on the internet concerning a CTEK Charger. Who knows what kit they have, what parts are included BUT if the below three things are in the "kit" then one part that I have called out "Put Away/Not Used" is not used but hang onto it should you ever need it on another install.

In the below drawing if you do not have the "To Be Used" Adaptor cable with the inline fuse on the wire and the ring terminals on the end, then get that from CTEK.
You will also be using the Charger portion that has the 110VAC cord on it.

SO, in the above picture I would only be using two of the three parts.

NOW, these are the parts I would use:

NOW, these two parts plug together to allow the 110VAC to be converted to 12 volts and then connected to the vehicle:

Now the one part "as is" is designed to use the battery bolts on a top post battery like this:

BUT IF THE Car has the spring terminal battery terminals I would attach things this way:

The above are pictures of my 1968 Nova and it has the factory Junction block by the battery and this is where the positive wire off of the CTEK Charge would attach. Chances are the ring terminal is not the right size so I would be changing that.
The picture also shows where my reproduction spring ring battery negative cables pigtail wire attached to the same point as my headlights ground. Again I might have to change the ring terminal size on the part from CTEK. This is the point the CTEK's negative wire would attach.

Jim

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took a look at the Camaro and the block seems to be a little different. It will take the M8 cable perfectly. The Camaro has a negative ground to the fender. I will use the positive junction block and the negative ground on the fender. If this is not ok please let me know.
Otherwise thanks for the pictures. It does make a huge difference, and the time to do it is much appreciated. But I would not expect any less of the guys on this forum.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh and one more thing Jim. The Polarity on my Camaro is the reverse of your Nova.
That would not affect the comfort cable though.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Oh and one more thing Jim. The Polarity on my Camaro is the reverse of your Nova.
That would not affect the comfort cable though.
When you say the polarity on your Camaro is the reverse of mine, I'm guessing that the picture of the battery with the positive on the left and the negative on the right is reverse of what you have ?. If so that's fine. They make batteries both ways. Just don't confuse that with electrical polarity in that my car, and probably yours, that are negative ground. There are also positive ground cars out there too. The CTEK battery charger should work on either as you just have to match up the polarity of the charger to the polarity of the vehicle.

The picture of the Camaro battery with the battery topper on it I copied for reference as it has the painted red center Delco Eye on it. When I put the battery topper on my Nova I put a little more time into making the fake looking painted red Delco Eye more realistic looking. I think too on my Nova, I have the negative terminal closest to the fender and for some reason I like doing it that way to keep the positive as far away as possible should the car ever get in an accident and it's less likely to short out. Either way, you always connect the battery charger positive output to the battery or electrical systems positive side and the negative output of the charger to the negative side of the battery or electrical system.

Jim

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I spent the day getting my 68 Camaro out of storage. Had a brand new battery that I got back in the late fall and did not install it. Put the Cteck on it for about an hour in the basement. Installed the comfort cable to the battery block and the negative on the fender. Installed the battery and changed the oil and filter. The car fired right up on the first kick and she ran on the choke for a second then smoothed right out.
I currently have the charger hooked up with the comfort cables and it is doing just fine.
Thanks for all the help and I hope this solves my issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts