Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i just painted my upper and lower control arms using eastwoods rust encapsulator and topped off with chassis black gloss. i put 1 coat of RE each waited an hour then did 3 coats each of chassis black waiting 15-20 minutes between coats and then hung them up in my garage to dry. the weather was warm about 65-70 degrees. today i went in to check them out and they feel "soft" to the touch but not wet. is there a cure time for it to harden? maybe a week or so? or should i turn the heat on in the garage to about 70?
thank you and sorry for long post

Steve

·
Registered
873 Posts
I would turn it up to at least 70, When i paint I will take it up to about 78 to get everything up to temperature, then turn it down to about 72 or 75, then leave it at 72 overnite or a couple of days, your shop temperature may say 70, but your metal could be a little cooler then what your thermostat says.

Rob

·
Registered
873 Posts
I will beadblast nuts and bolts, then spray them with a rattle can, then put them in a toaster oven for about 25 minutes, and that will dry out and harden the rattle can paint up.

I think the same principle in your shop, just turn the heat up.

Rob

·
Registered
163 Posts
It depends on which chassis black you used. DuPont makes one that is used right out of the can, no thinning, etc. PPG makes one that uses a little catalyst (16:1 ratio). If the catalyst was ignored, you would have a problem drying. If it is very high humidity, that would slow down the drying as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts