Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
68 Camaro RS SS 454 BB Automatic with 373 gears
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The body shop damaged my door but never said if it got damaged while the door was open or closed. I've been told by several people both theories, and was curious what you guys thought. The body shop is exchanging the door but hasn't said exactly how it happened yet. So what's your thoughts, open or closed when damaged? Thanks for your opinion, and really appreciate it. Thanks Sherry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously open. Lol
That's what I was thinking but husband said it was closed when damaged 👍. I immediately 🤔 the door was open since it didn't damage the front fender at all. Since I'm not experienced in body work, should I be concerned about the hinges possibly being damaged ALSO?

·
Registered
215 Posts
The body shop damaged my door but never said if it got damaged while the door was open or closed. I've been told by several people both theories, and was curious what you guys thought. The body shop is exchanging the door but hasn't said exactly how it happened yet. So what's your thoughts, open or closed when damaged? Thanks for your opinion, and really appreciate it. Thanks Sherry
How is it that you've already had a conversation with the body shop about the significant damage they've done to your door but they haven't told you exactly what happened? I would think that's the second thing they should've spoke to you about after an apology...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is it that you've already had a conversation with the body shop about the significant damage they've done to your door but they haven't told you exactly what happened? I would think that's the second thing they should've spoke to you about after an apology...
Your absolutely correct and I should have asked quite honestly, but after 8 months of hard work I think I was in shock after they told me it was going to take 4 weeks to get a new door and have their shop switch my stuff my to the new door and align it on the car. Actually it wasn't until looking at the damage and discussing it, I was curious about it. They blew my July 4th surprise out of the water, which threw me off 🤷 WTF can I say. I've had the car since 93 and finally done by my standards, and still not painted? But if I hadn't done what needed to be done, that car would still be sitting in my garage undone. Hope that addressed your question, but you never really answered mine?

·
Registered
462 Posts
If it was open when the damage happened there would be damage at the back of the door that forced it further open. There would also likely be damage to the fender as the point of impact would be close to that kind of contact. Did they do any repairs to the fender or replace it?
Listen to your husband, he is there to look at the hinges and fender and rocker panel to determine the impact points. Pictures don't always tell the whole truth.

·
20,504 Posts
Looks to me that it was open and bent backwards after hitting something OR something hit it....in my non professional opinion.

Seen it done same way on a neighbors car I just painted as he was backing out of garage to show some buddies ....caught the garage door frame and bent out to a 90 degree angle. Bent car hinges too.

Be 1000% sure you're happy with the final product.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Your absolutely correct and I should have asked quite honestly, but after 8 months of hard work I think I was in shock after they told me it was going to take 4 weeks to get a new door and have their shop switch my stuff my to the new door and align it on the car. Actually it wasn't until looking at the damage and discussing it, I was curious about it. They blew my July 4th surprise out of the water, which threw me off 🤷 WTF can I say. I've had the car since 93 and finally done by my standards, and still not painted? But if I hadn't done what needed to be done, that car would still be sitting in my garage undone. Hope that addressed your question, but you never really answered mine?
I'm sure that was absolutely not the surprise you hoped for. If those are your original doors (aka original GM sheet metal) I hope they're replacing with the equivalent - good solid originals/NOS and NOT reproduction panels.

The kind of damage would indicate door open, maybe caught on something whilst moving. Either way I would be pushing for answers and make sure you closely inspect everything around the damage - fender, inner pillar, hinges, etc.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,896 Posts
It's obvious to me the door was opened too far causing the damage. Very possible when backing out of a garage opening and the door caught. If it was at a very slow speed there may be minimal damage to the rear of the door and possibly none for evidence. Be sure you are happy with the replacement and fit. The pillar and/or hinges may have been damaged. I've not seen a re-pop door fit well with an original fender and original quarter panel.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
If I was going to venture a guess, I would say that the car was being pushed backwards, with the person steering it with the door open. The car door then caught the door frame of the building, which would have caused the damage I see. I would demand they tell you what happened.
Brett...

·
Registered
1969 Z28 Camaro X33 Tuxedo Black
129 Posts
This is easy for me to say because it's not my car, but at this point what does it matter how the damage happened. My concern would be that when everything is said and done that it looks right, works correctly and there is no evidence that something happened. I wouldn't suggest that you lose many nights of sleep over something that you can no longer control except that the repair better be near perfect when the cat is finished.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I’d get banned if I shared my complete thoughts…..but a real body shop would be straight up and give you an explanation and a reduction in your final.
morons happen……I am one, but I’m quick to own up to it!
Oh by the way …. Yes it was open and they would never prove otherwise

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it was open when the damage happened there would be damage at the back of the door that forced it further open. There would also likely be damage to the fender as the point of impact would be close to that kind of contact. Did they do any repairs to the fender or replace it?
Listen to your husband, he is there to look at the hinges and fender and rocker panel to determine the impact points. Pictures don't always tell the whole truth.
They are replacing the complete door shell with a new door and my interior and hardware. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask exactly what happened and how it was Damaged. All they said was when other vehicles were being moved that morning a coworker hit my door and they were going to have to replace it. My main issue was it was going to take 3 weeks to get the new door, then a week for their body shop to put the door on. Hell I could have bought one in less time myself. But no visible damage on the fender, rocker panel, or my door other than the huge dent in photo.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sure that was absolutely not the surprise you hoped for. If those are your original doors (aka original GM sheet metal) I hope they're replacing with the equivalent - good solid originals/NOS and NOT reproduction panels.

The kind of damage would indicate door open, maybe caught on something whilst moving. Either way I would be pushing for answers and make sure you closely inspect everything around the damage - fender, inner pillar, hinges, etc.
Sherry, Have you seen the door/damage personally? Check the interior door panel and anything else for damage.
I saw it when I went to get my license plates off it cause they were off my other 🚗 as I hadn't received my plates for yet. Needed to get it inspected and the control arm bushing was bent or broken on the driver side and needed to be fixed. Also had asked them to put the correct gears in the transmission cause the speedometer was off. 16 mph faster than it should have been and b/c of that I left it there for 2 days til they got the gears. I knew I should have gone and gotten it, but didn't, Friday morning at 8:30 I got a call informing me it had been damaged 🤦 Murphy's Law struck again 🙄 Go figure... But yes I will check everything out 1000% when it's done. Hopefully it will be better than before since reassembling a 🚗 was a first for me 🤓

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Not original anything really but the doors were in excellent condition, no rust or dents. Concerned about the hinges possibly being damaged, not that I would really notice that. The fender didn't have damage when I saw it BUT again if I knew anything about that I would have sanded and painted the car myself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, so this didn't happen at a body shop. Oh my. I would be very concerned about having them replace and fit the door properly. Sorry, I'm not trying to scare you but a mechanical shop is not the place to have this fixed.
Oh yeah they said there body shop would have to switch over my stuff then align the door. So I took the door panel clips I had from taking it apart but had no idea how to put them on or line up the holes they went in. Hahaha Maybe something good will come out of this 🤞🤞🤞

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would have some concern about the jamb at the point where the hinges attach.

I can imagine those points could be pulled out of alignment by the torque on the door as well.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
Fixed dozens of cars for people who have done this with the door open. Your hinges are damaged. I can tell by looking at them. They have stops and only open so far. Shop should locate GM hinges or have those rebuilt by Willie. Repro hinges suck. Demand a GM door if that is what is on there.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts