Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Registered
68 Camaro RS SS 454 BB Automatic with 373 gears
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Fixed dozens of cars for people who have done this with the door open. Your hinges are damaged. I can tell by looking at them. They have stops and only open so far. Shop should locate GM hinges or have those rebuilt by Willie. Repro hinges suck. Demand a GM door if that is what is on there.
Here's an update, the door was open when the damage happened as everyone seemed to agree. Thanks and I spoke to them this morning and the new door is in and car will be sent to there body shop to be fixed in a few days, I did mention my concern about the hinges possibly being damaged and he assured me that the Body Shop will address any and all issues associated with that. Thank you to everyone who responded and pointed out things I didn't even think about asking. I really do appreciate that, and all the help was definitely needed 馃槝馃憦馃憦馃憦 Will post any updates I GET.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here's an update, the door was open when the damage happened as everyone seemed to agree. Thanks and I spoke to them this morning and the new door is in and car will be sent to there body shop to be fixed in a few days, I did mention my concern about the hinges possibly being damaged and he assured me that the Body Shop will address any and all issues associated with that. Thank you to everyone who responded and pointed out things I didn't even think about asking. I really do appreciate that, and all the help was definitely needed 馃槝馃憦馃憦馃憦 Will post any updates I GET.
Also found out that the doors were original GM doors, is that going to be an issue?

Registered
Also found out that the doors were original GM doors, is that going to be an issue?
I work on first gens everyday in my shop and GM doors are better. If you want show gaps, even GM needs modifications. Much more work to fit a repro door and assemble window mechanisms.. Willie at Hoodhingerepair.com is great. I've given him dozens of hood and door hinges for rebuilding or repair for many makes and models. Also supply him with extras I have for his inventory.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I work on first gens everyday in my shop and GM doors are better. If you want show gaps, even GM needs modifications. Much more work to fit a repro door and assemble window mechanisms.. Willie at Hoodhingerepair.com is great. I've given him dozens of hood and door hinges for rebuilding or repair for many makes and models. Also supply him with extras I have for his inventory.
Thanks haven't talked to the person that got the door yet but found out this morning the doors were original GM doors, and also believe from the damage the hinges are also damaged. I'm in Mo, where is he located?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Heck that means 80%-90% chance it won't rain. I say take a chance.
That's pretty good odds. :thumbsup:Thanks for the compliment on the fab work.
Hopefully I can get a little more done tonight. Sleep is optional.:yes:
Apparently you missed my reference to him and the dozens of jobs he has done for me. G search and he pops up.
No, sorry was misspelling the name when I first looked online. My bad 馃檮

Premium Member
A gm door would be preferred. That said it's not easy to find one. A competent body man can make a aftermarket door fit and function. It all depends on your expectations and what you can live with. With that said, I hope you get your car fixed and drive it soon. 馃憤

Reactions: Sherry

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
A gm door would be preferred. That said it's not easy to find one. A competent body man can make a aftermarket door fit and function. It all depends on your expectations and what you can live with. With that said, I hope you get your car fixed and drive it soon. 馃憤
I found out today the door is a Dynacor door shell, after some research I think it's an acceptable replacement unless someone else has more experience with them or has used them before? I'm totally out of my depth here. SORRY guys

Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
Sherry, This is my experience with an OER door on my 67. This is one of those pieces where people will say "They're all made by the same Taiwan manufacturer". That may be but there is no proof of that and I'm not looking to debate it. Anyway, the 1st 2 pics speak for themselves. The 3rd pic is an original GM door I located. Fixed my problems. Good luck (serious).

P1002959.jpg

driver-door-problems.JPG

P1003013.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sherry, This is my experience with an OER door on my 67. This is one of those pieces where people will say "They're all made by the same Taiwan manufacturer". That may be but there is no proof of that and I'm not looking to debate it. Anyway, the 1st 2 pics speak for themselves. The 3rd pic is an original GM door I located. Fixed my problems. Good luck (serious).

View attachment 278870

View attachment 278871

View attachment 278872
Thanks and that's my concern but unfortunately for them it better be perfect by my standard. Plus they are getting off easy because the 馃殫 wasn't painted. Honestly I NEVER thought that would be the hardest part of doing this car 馃う

Registered
I have a 67(same door)used a Chinese door on mine. I also judge camaros I can usually spot a non GM door the gaps are just not right. But, they can be made right it takes a good body man, welding, and the desire to do things right!

Registered
Now a tribute-1968(L30/M20) Z-28 Black stripes/white, 350, M22,12bolt. WIP since 8/1979
Lots of folks are saying demand a GM door. Easier said than done. I needed a complete drivers door in 1999. Bought and installed a Taiwan reproduction. Has been a fine replacement, worked and looked fine since then and still looks good.

• Wow
Reactions: Sherry

Registered
Lots of folks are saying demand a GM door. Easier said than done. I needed a complete drivers door in 1999. Bought and installed a Taiwan reproduction. Has been a fine replacement, worked and looked fine since then and still looks good.
Agreed, easier said than done and aftermarket can fit well with a lot of work BUT Sherry has an original GM door on her car which is likely original to the car, would fit well and is more desirable and valuable in current times. Through no fault of her own this original door was damaged. It should be replaced for the equivalent. Would you be happy if someone damaged your $2,000 item and offered a far inferior $400 item to replace it? I don't know many people that would be.

Registered
I have a 67(same door)used a Chinese door on mine. I also judge camaros I can usually spot a non GM door the gaps are just not right. But, they can be made right it takes a good body man, welding, and the desire to do things right!
I do this everyday all day on all makes and models in my shop. Even 60s factory doors do not fit like a newer vehicle. Some GM sheetmetal fits like sh!!t. Do you own a resto, fab and custom paint shop?

Registered
Not hard if you do the work. I have customers who found NOS and good used GM parts because they were willing and able. And that was last year. Good to have many contacts and a stockpile of parts after years of building and parting out cars.

I saved a door shell for 15 years and it just became the perfect donor to repair another shell.

Registered
Agreed, easier said than done and aftermarket can fit well with a lot of work BUT Sherry has an original GM door on her car which is likely original to the car, would fit well and is more desirable and valuable in current times. Through no fault of her own this original door was damaged. It should be replaced for the equivalent. Would you be happy if someone damaged your $2,000 item and offered a far inferior $400 item to replace it? I don't know many people that would be.
If you read post 30 they found it was an aftermarket door. Pretty easy to tell when the doors are stamped with GM numbers or not.

Registered
I read it as the replacement being used is Dynacorn and the damaged door is original GM.
Looks like that is the case. This is what happens when a non body tech car owner is describing a repair. Bottom line is the shop should eat all costs and do a quality repair. No reason a car owner with zero experience should have to investigate proper repair procedures.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts