Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input from you guys. After chasing other projects on the car, I'm now looking at the interior.

I plan on using a Detroit Speed dash and with that, Auto Meter Phantom gauges. Here's the rub, the Tach that I want, does not exsist. Can I make one?

I need the functionality of the 5" in-dash Pro Comp Ultra-Lite Memory Tach, (pn 4494) with the white face and black trim of the 5" Phantom in-dash (pn# 5898.)

I sent Auto Meter mail last week but still no return mail yet. I've asked them if I could purchase the parts at a minimum or if I could have engineering produce a one off. From a manufacturing perspective, all these parts appear to have commonality. The only thing that may not be off the shelf at manufacturing would be a black (vs brushed steal) housing for the memory recall assembly.

So, if I get no "good" reply from the company, who has experiance in tearing apart 5' Auto Meters? Are they all nuts and bolts, or are there pieces that are blind riveted, pinched, sealed? Something that would stop me from disassembling two, to make one. (Crazy cost aside.)

I'm jazzed over the prospects of this new dash board. It will take me over a year to make, I'm sure with some of the things I want to do.

Rick.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Scott, sleddin is just around the corner! :D

I do not have the dash yet. I'm just starting to work up what I want to do. I'll be making the purchase within a week or two. (I want Deb to enjoy the two new Corbeaus that should be delivered next Monday.)

Gauges getting lost - Black on black -

I thought about that also but I'm thinking about three different types of finish on it. A crinkle finish around the gauges which (I hope) will provide a completly different feel and texture.

Standard black trim finish on the lower w/Carbon Fiber trim that will copy the feel of the Rosewood inserts left and right of the steering wheel.

I also want a small rectangular carbon fiber piece over the top of the left AC vent w/ the Astro logo on it.

There will be a message center designed that will have a silk screened face in the same vein as a stock type, w/leds behind to provide messaging like, brake failure, low gas, high beam, directionals - maybe, and a switchable built in shift light. (The shift light is a giant thank you to Jeff Hyosaka and DSE but I'll put a twist on it.)

I like the idea of Carbon Fiber as trim. I have it in place of the Rosewood on the shift plate. I am trying to figure out how to incorporate it into two other spots also.

Rick.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I wish I could find a 5'' tach with an 8000rpm range instead of 10,000.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I looked at the carbon fiber gauges real hard. The way I saw it in my minds eye, there was too much. I described the dash area and uses of cabon fiber.

The shift plate will be CF. I'm working on the long rectangular plate the has the Camaro logo and the panic bar. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it. I think I'll machine out or down, the inside and leave the black edge with the silver boarder. Install cabon fiber all along the inside, effectively replacing the ridges with the CF material. The logo and grab handle will go in their proper spots.

These few spots, headlight switch area, radio area, CF plate holding idiot lights, shift plate and grab bar, all should promote the theme nicley without going overboard.

The other reason is the white Phantoms will work to bring some of the outside color in to the car. (Once it's painted with the white Z stripes.) That and the overall contrast it provides is the look I want.

Of course, it would be much easier if I just purchased your car and installed RS headlights.

But then I wouldn't have the fun of the car beating me down just to pick me up.

By the way. I fired up the XCR800 triple/triple as I do every Labor Day just to get that smoke smell into my t-shirt. WEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee!

Late news: Auto Meter will custom build one for me. The price is a staggering 370 but that is actually less than if I had to purchase the two, to make one.
:eek:

This is getting sick. I love it.

Rick

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
just watch- they "custom" build one for you for $370, then 3 months from now, they introduce the same thing for $200 to the general public...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NovaDerrik, that thought had crossed my mind. I'll ask them if they plan on introducing this as a model.

Late last night I thought they were being fair in their price to me. Meaning, I knew it would be more expensive as a one-off item outside the standard build process and the price should reflect that. On the other hand is the fact that these are all off the shelf items.

If you were to take the Ultra lite tach, change the face color to white and the front bezel to black, (which are both in the parts bin) you would have exactly what I want.

The Ultra is $225.99 at Jegs. The Phantom is $125.99. Auto Meter stated $369.10 for a custom.

Fact is the standard material cost is exacly the same for what I want. What changes is the labor rate, which is minimal. (Time it takes to build one should be less than three minutes.) The expensive part is the actual sales cycle. (Non standard billing and the like.)

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm a little miffed at Auto Meter in not supporting their customers. The number should be higher than the standard $225.00, of course. But the delta shouldn't be as high as $143.11 for a different color face plate.

I think if they supported their customers the price would be $250. The 369.10 price is their way of saying we do not want to do this, but if you pony up...

I'm counter offering.

Rick.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by 69ProTouring:
What color are you painting the dash? I had considered using the Phantoms in my DS&E dash, but I painted it black and was worried about the gauge bezels getting "lost" within all the black.

Do you have the DS&E dash now?
With the thought that more info is better than less here is a pic of my DS&E dash with black face gauges. I have not trouble reading them and at no time are they lost because of the black finish on the dash. This dash is a great product. good luck......bob spears

[ 09-04-2003, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: bspears ]

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I've seen the 3 & 3/8'' 8000rpm tachs, but I'd really like to get a 5'' version. Ah well... I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
216 Posts

That is a very nice looking dash. Its all good.

bob :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.