Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with their USA 740?

It says 300 watts, from what I can find in specs, but does not list the watts/channel, or the RMS wattage per channel.

Assuming it is equally distributed, peak power would be 75/channel...but what would the actual RMS be?

Guessing somewhere between 25-40? Would like to know, so i can determine if I should add an amp or not...

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with their USA 740?

It says 300 watts, from what I cna find in specs, but does not list the watts/channel, or the RMS wattage per channel.

Assuming it is equally distributed, peak power would be 75/channel...but what would the actual RMS be?

Guessing somewhere between 25-40? Would like to know, so i can determine if I should add an amp or not...
There is usually a reason they don't post those specs. The RMS wattage is prob on the weaker side. I would call them directly and ask.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also lookins at the retrosound M5F...

25 watts per channel RMS (do not advertise "peak")...

Is 25 watts decent for a head unit?

·
13,722 Posts
I used USA once. It sucked. Retrosound on every car since then. Very pleased.

·
Registered
994 Posts
custom auto sound sucks. I've used 2 or 3 of their radios. I now use bluetooth straight to my amp. It's not ideal, but it is better than what I had

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
443 Posts
i have the USA 740 and love it. got that one because it had a dedicated subwoofer output. i'm not too sure about watt ratings and i'm running two 6x9's on one amp and separate amp for the subwoofer. amazing how good it sounds in this old rattle can.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with Antique Automobile Radio ?
https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-radio-am-fm-reproduction-1969.html

That is what I am leaning towards. They look the most authentic, in my opinion. I am not sure I want to track down an actual 69 radio and get it reconditioned. That is a lot of money for old technology that doesn't sound that great.

·
13,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ordered a retro sound M5F last night...

It's a "closeout" radio, discontinued. Person on chat on their site said it was basically the same as their Long beach (new model) but without the XM capacity...

we'll see how it sounds...25 watts RMS. If I need to add an amp later, I guess I can always do so.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I am not impressed with either one, especially for what the $$$ they want, then you have to add an Amp to get a decent sound. I just installed a Pioneer for a $100 and sits great in the glove box with a remote and 200w and a CD player. The after market has 2 shafts but does not look original. . . . why?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I tried 2 different Retrosound radios and both of them allowed noise from the electrical system in. Ended up using a $100 Blaupunkt and it works perfect with all the new technology, Bluetooth, USB, etc...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts