Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to update my front seats to the TMI sport. My only issue is that they will sit much higher that stock and my head hits the roof liner already!
Does anyone make a kit that will lower the front seats about 2 inches to make them fit correctly?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,175 Posts
Did you try asking TMI?
They must be aware of the issues with their seats... so perhaps they can recommend something / or maybe they have a solution.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not called them. I was reading all the posts here regarding the issues with updating the seat cushions. I actually sat is someone else's 69 that had the MTI seats. They look great but I did not like how he had to mount them to have head clearance. They were so leaned back like almost reclined! Just wanted to know if anyone had a solution. I guess I may just stay with the stock seat and deal with the back aches!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
My upolstery guy built up the sides of my stock seats enough to make a difference and about half the way to the sides of the TMI seat along with new foam. He got the PUI covers on and they look and feel great and it did not compromise the height and a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey Mike,

All of our Sport Seats, whether its Mustang, Chevelle or Camaro have the same basic design behind them. We add bolstering to them. The colors, patterns, heat seals, materials, grains, etc. all stay the same. This includes the center 'insert' part of the seat where your bottom actually sits. The only thing that changes is the bolstering in the seat. The exception to this rule is the Sport-R's where we have suede inserts and a french seam.

I think the issue with gentlemen sitting too tall is a combination of things.
1. Repairing or replacing seat springs. The replacement springs are much firmer than stock. They will cause you to sit roughly 1-1.5" taller than factory springs.
2. Brand new foam. Over time foam does compress. When you have a factory seat with 45 years of sitting on it, that foam is going to be thinner. Replacing the foam will cause you to sit higher.
3. The Sport Seat foam is slightly denser than factory. It's hard to tell by feel or touch, but the foam is slightly harder. This is by design to help give you a firmer sportier seat and to give the bolsters support. If they were as soft as a pillow they wouldn't provide any support.
4. These are small cars. When test fitting a few months back I realized they are just a much smaller interior. I think even if it was a factory configuration I would sit too tall for these cars(I'm 6'1").

I think by adding all these factors up is what's causing issues with sitting too tall. It's not exactly one thing. Awhile back we did have some foam go out that was wayyy too firm. We have since found that problem, corrected it, and I've had several members contact me here for replacement foams.

I hope that helps a little bit. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm here to help!

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts

LMAO!!!!! I love it Al! Hilarious! * I am hoping to figure out a custom modification for this issue too since I am 6'2" 215 lbs. (athletic build) :) Maybe by the time I finish my Camaros, my vertebrae will be so compressed from age it wouldn't matter. :p

·
Registered
470 Posts
Without wishing to sound rude in any way the response from TMI we just got was big on reasons why but low on solutions to the problem.

The Aftermarket exists to provide solutions to problems and sell them to those people who are wanting an "out of the box" fix.

So, Get the tech guys to look at the rails, figure a workaround that involves you making, marketing and selling a solution to the problem of the seat being an inch or so too high in a Gen1 Camaro.

I am 6ft, and quite capable of sorting out my own rails but I am more likely to buy a product that was offering me a bolt in fix that I could do quickly instead of cutting/welding/painting and re-fitting.

Please don't think that I am being nasty, I am just making a point and a suggestion.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Without wishing to sound rude in any way the response from TMI we just got was big on reasons why but low on solutions to the problem.

The Aftermarket exists to provide solutions to problems and sell them to those people who are wanting an "out of the box" fix.

So, Get the tech guys to look at the rails, figure a workaround that involves you making, marketing and selling a solution to the problem of the seat being an inch or so too high in a Gen1 Camaro.

I am 6ft, and quite capable of sorting out my own rails but I am more likely to buy a product that was offering me a bolt in fix that I could do quickly instead of cutting/welding/painting and re-fitting.

Please don't think that I am being nasty, I am just making a point and a suggestion.

No offense taken. And you're right...I offered lots of reasons why people aren't fitting, but no solutions. Since all we produce here is the foam and upholstery and not a complete seat, there's not a ton we can do on our end.

I've seen lots of guys that do the seat extenders.

I also had one guy that had bought replacement frame and springs(the ones that are way too stiff). These spring assembly's, have 5 springs in the front of them that hold the seat up, with 2 on the sides. I suggested popping out two of the front springs so the springs were able to collapse properly. He tried it and said that did make a big difference. He was able to do it with the foam and upholstery on the seat as well. That might be something to look at when reupholstering your seats.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi Tim,

I am glad you took my writings in the way they were intended, I am amazed no-one offers a solution for this yet. I am also a little surprised you guys are not involved in the frames at all.

Perhaps that is the next step....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am "the guy" Tim from TMI was referring to. I am 5'8" tall and about 170 lbs. so hitting the headliner was not a problem but My legs were jammed against the steering wheel, it was dangerous to drive. First thing I tried was seat mount extenders which move the seat back about two inches, didnt help too much. Tim was very responsive and willing to help anyway he could, TMI's website has a couple of comparison photos of original foam and sport seat foam showing that the sport seat foam actually is NOT thicker than original. So it must be the new seat frame and lack of compression of the new foam, unclipping two of the springs in front made a vast improvement and I can drive my Camaro again. However I still feel like I am a little too high but I am getting used to it. Going to put a Grant Walnut steering wheel on this week, it is 15" dia., stock unit is 16".

I am contemplating having about one inch removed from the seat brackets and the mounting feet welded back on. Has anyone done this? I am wondering about being able to access the mounting bolts.

All that being said, I love the TMI products, I installed (my upholstery guy actually) 1968 Houndstooth in my '67....I wanted the cloth for more comfort but I wanted something that was Camaro correct. They look and feel fantastic!

Attachments

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,439 Posts
Hi Gary, thanks for chiming in. :)

I've got 68 Sport Seats (Black Houndstooth) too. I'm 5'10 and had a few inches of headroom, but like you, the steering wheel was too close for my liking. It was ok once I got seated, but getting in & out was pain. Really need a tilt or a smaller wheel, but I kinda like the original N30 and tilt is not in the budget at this time......

Anyway, I recently chopped 3/4" off my stock rails and am very pleased with the results. I just made 1 slice and welded a new foot on. Very easy to do.

I settled with 3/4" because it looked like anything more and I'd run into clearance problems with the backrest hinges. As you can see, they're right on top of the carpet now. If you went w/o the plastic covers, you could probably go the 1 inch, maybe more ? Also, I haven't found seatbelt retractors yet so I'm kinda gambling that I won't run into problems. It looks close, but think I'll be alright....?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the pics Garth. I have printed and will keep on file in the event I do cut 3/4" out. Yeah, I forgot to mention that a tilt is probably completely out of the question for me also......I have a 250 with a three on the tree that I want to keep that way since it is becoming more rare and unique.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Check with Wedge Brackets if they have a solution

www.wedgebrackets.com/
Wedge was sold a earlier this year, and I don't think they are doing custom brackets any more. I had them make a set for my ProCar Rally's before they were sold, and they sit nice and low.

Another member here contacted me about them and said the new owners weren't doing customizing. They stock brackets for a lot of seat brands, but won't modify what they stock. The ones on the Wedge site don't list Stock seats as an option, only aftermarket.

Not sure if this is true or not, just passing along some info....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed the ProCar Elite seats in my 67 and they have 3 height positions on the brackets that the sliders attach to. So you can adjust the height maybe 1 1/2 inches up or down. They are super and very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
Today I completed the 3/4" drop of the seat slides to lower my TMI covered seats. I cut at the 3/4" line then used 3/16" flat bar stock for the base. My actual drop is probably about 5/8" and it feels good. Haven't driven it yet because of our wet weather. The passenger side install will wait until we have drier weather and I can back the car out of the garage.

I used a 2nd set of slides I had on the shelf. They were disassembled, sand blasted, cut, welded, powder coated and reassembled. I'll try to post a couple photos in a few minutes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Just had TMI seats installed and was worried about the height. Looks like I'm up about an inch, but no head touching the liner issues. Plenty of room and I have a convertible. Left leg does rub the steering wheel when shifting so I would recommend the seat bracket mod if this is an issue for you. Nice job Andrew69.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
Yours look look real nice and with the top back your head clearance concerns are much less.

I also want to note the lowered seat now has minimal interference with the door open lever. If I were going to do this again I might cut just a little lower. Maybe another 1/4” considering the 3/16” thickness of my base material.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
Hey Mike,

All of our Sport Seats, whether its Mustang, Chevelle or Camaro have the same basic design behind them. We add bolstering to them. The colors, patterns, heat seals, materials, grains, etc. all stay the same. This includes the center 'insert' part of the seat where your bottom actually sits. The only thing that changes is the bolstering in the seat. The exception to this rule is the Sport-R's where we have suede inserts and a french seam.

I think the issue with gentlemen sitting too tall is a combination of things.
1. Repairing or replacing seat springs. The replacement springs are much firmer than stock. They will cause you to sit roughly 1-1.5" taller than factory springs.
2. Brand new foam. Over time foam does compress. When you have a factory seat with 45 years of sitting on it, that foam is going to be thinner. Replacing the foam will cause you to sit higher.
3. The Sport Seat foam is slightly denser than factory. It's hard to tell by feel or touch, but the foam is slightly harder. This is by design to help give you a firmer sportier seat and to give the bolsters support. If they were as soft as a pillow they wouldn't provide any support.
4. These are small cars. When test fitting a few months back I realized they are just a much smaller interior. I think even if it was a factory configuration I would sit too tall for these cars(I'm 6'1").

I think by adding all these factors up is what's causing issues with sitting too tall. It's not exactly one thing. Awhile back we did have some foam go out that was wayyy too firm. We have since found that problem, corrected it, and I've had several members contact me here for replacement foams.

I hope that helps a little bit. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm here to help!
I know this is an older post but with my experience, including the recent slide lowering project, I wish to comment on these points. The first seats in my Camaro were built with new reproduction seat springs, new foams and new covers. A return to stock on all points with original design that you sit on with no side support. They can be seen in the photo link on the bottom of this post.

A few years ago I upgraded to the TMI Sport (or were they Sport 2?) seat covers and foams. Using the same reproduction seat bottom springs I installed the TMI foams and seat covers. This resulted in my sitting approximately 1" higher with the inconveniences it presents. I am average height and while close to the headliner I did have some clearance.

I have to say the TMI seats look great and feel great. I have no regrets and would use them again. I am glad that I have the means to perform the work of modifying the seat slides.

The bottom line; my comparison shows the TMI foams and seat covers will raise your seating position 1" or higher. Be aware and adjust accordingly. They are great seats. If the additional height is beneficial you're good. If you are tall with minimal head and steering wheel clearance be aware and be ready to make adjustments.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts