Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is a extension of the topic that was here not so long ago that really helped me out by determining how to do a custom installation job.

Now, I have a fold down rear seat, and the rear arm rest panels that I am going to custom make a speaker pod there to air towards the front of the car, as well as make a custom set of kick-panels for the camaro. I am wanting to buy the best set of components that I can so that I dont have to do this job twice. I am looking at a pair of MB Quarts because someone was talking to me and telling me that they were awsome speakers and when I went to their web-site they were talking about how their speakers were designed to be put in the non-directional location and sound awsome. Is this true, or just a sales line. Also, I have heard that Diamond speakers are great. Does it really matter, I was going to run plenty of amp juice to them, and I have always heard, buy the best sounding to "YOU" and in your price range, but does anyone have better features than the other one. And if you think that MB Quarts are better, which style, I went to their web-site and saw about 5 different catorgories of MB speakers.

Thanks and hope that this will help everyone.
Robby

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ok, first off this isn't really a direct answer to your questions but I have a couple of links to sites that might point you in the right direction. I've been looking into this kind of stuff just lately as i want to make kick-panels and enclosures for my '68. I was looking around for articles on how to make them and found a few links here and there. This link:
http://www.elitecaraudio.com/home/html/article.php?sid=20
has the article by the guy who calls himself "audionutz" and covers a lot of ground on kick panels. You may already know all you need but there are other good articles on this site and the forum is very good for finding out lots of useful stuff. I'm looking into the whole soundproofing/Dynamat/Brown Bread issue at the moment and found lots of good advice at this site. Obviously since its a car audio site they have a lot more info on the subject than we do here- not quite so much on Camaros though.

This one's very good too:
www.carsound.com/index.shtml

Its set up just like Team Camaro so its easy to find stuff. I saw something on one of these places about directional/non-directional speakers, which is why your post caught my eye. I won't pretend to be an expert on this but hopefully these links will be helpful. Let me know how you get on with the install. If you need any more links to sites with pictures of kick-panel/speaker pod builds I think I have a couple somewhere too, just let me know.

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't know whether that question was aimed at me or Speedball but since i'm here i'll jump in anyway. When i bought my car it had an Alpine head unit already installed in the regular place in the dash. Since its already in there's no reason for me to get precious about hacking at the dash so I'll just keep it where it is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for all the info!!!! I have been searching for custom kickpanels forever, and after staring at many pics I think that I have got it down. Whats the chances of me getting good at these and selling them, huh???? I also think that I have found the perfect way to set-up my trunk. I am going to mount the amps in the dip in the trunk. The square section that sits lower than the rest and rises in the back, mount the amps there.

Then take a section of plywood and cut a hole in the center and put plexi-glass in the middle and cover all in black vinyl. That way you have a covered floor and clear plexi-glass window to see the amps. Next, make a sub box to come to the rise in the back of the trunk facing to the rear of the car, and make walls connecting from the box to the tail panel of the car. That way, the trunk is a complete box. If this goes well, i will put more pics on here, just watch for my name on the interior section.

Thanks for all you info, and maybe we can get some more people here to answer the original question. Thanks.

Robby

·
Registered
115 Posts
RObby....

Sounds like a cool idea.

One thing that I have a question about.
How will you provide for venting/cooling of the amps if they're mounted that way? Maybe some holes in the plexiglass?

Just curious, as I too am always looking at different ways to setup my system..

cheers,
David

·
Registered
636 Posts
You could drill two holes on the sides of the box for venting and then get two small fans like for your computer. Drill one hole high on one side and one low on the other. Since heat rises pull the air in from the lower and push the air out of the higher.This is how computers stay very cool. IF you want to get more advanced you could stagger clear pieces horizontally between the amp and the top of the box this will direct the cool air over the amp. This will allow you to keep your amps cool and still have the clear uncut plexiglass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts