Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have custom made a plate for the radio area in my camaro that has allowed me to put a Kenwood Flip-face radio in my car. Now, I dont have to be limited to the knob-styled radios that I have always had to choose from.

What I need now is pics or descriptions of how you have put other stereo equipment in your camaros. If you have a trick way of mounting speakers in your car, let me know. I am REALLY needing advice of putting a pair of 10-inch subs in my trunk, but I do not want to put a box in. I want something custom that will look trick, instead of a half-A$$ job. Please, no matter how small you think what you have done is, tell me. Let this be a post for people to learn new ways to install a great sounding system in the camaro.

I have also put a pair of tweeters in my pillar post that look extremly well. If anyone wants to see a pic, let me know. So everyone tell me what you have done!!!!
Thanks in advance.
Robby

·
Registered
47 Posts
For the subs make a 5/8" or 3/4" wood plate that goes behind the rear seat but before it reaches the dip in the trunk pan. Id use a big pice of card board and just start lining it up and triming it to get it the right shape. Then you use the cardboard as a template to cut the faceplate out. You can then build a box to fit to the back of that or just use free air subs. Heres a pic but its more of just a box but you could make a faceplate so everything is flush and where the subs are mounted looks like it is just the back of the trunk. http://www.pro-pouring.com/featured_cars/Camaro/1969_Camaro/Donald_Bigbies_69_Camaro/P8090024.jpg

Also Id make some kickpanels for the mids, and youd get better imaging if you put the tweeters in the kicks as well, but if they are already on the pillars than thats fine. Then you could put some 2 or 3 ways in the rear dash or in the rear side pannels, rear speaker placemen tisnt really that important though.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Hey speedball1969, do you have a pic of the custom plate for your radio? I am considering having something similar made for my '68 . Did you have someone do it ($$?) or did you DIY?

I don't have pics but I mounted a 450 watt amp underneath the package tray for my system. Went to the hardware store and got some galvanized brackets to attach it with. It's trick because you can't see it with the trunk open. Also tied all the wires up high so they are "invisible" too!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Choptop, yea I done it myself. I just took a measurement of the section that I was going to cut out. Then put it down on paper, and had my friend cut it out where he works. lol, sorta done it myself. Next, I had a roll of woodgrain stencil that I was using for different things. It matched the console woodgrain on my '69, so I used it to cover the metal piece that I made. I am using a flip-face Keenwood head unit, and while it was turned off, I covered it with the same woodgrain stencil.

Now, when the radio is off, its kinda camoflauged. Then you turn the radio on, and magicaly it appears. It looks really good. I will try to get some pic for you. Thanks for helping me with you ideas.
Robby

·
Registered
115 Posts
NO pics yet..but here's what I did...

ALpine head unit in dash. As you, I made my own plate to mount the head unit in the stock radio location.

I have 5-1/4" mid in the kick panels, and well as 1" tweeters down there.

In the stock front speaker location in the dash, I mounted a center channel speaker.

In the rear stock "hat tray" location, I use a pair of Cerwin Vega 2 way 6x9's.

The interior speakers are powered by a 4 channel Kenwood amp.

I have one 10" sub in a box designed to fit behind the rear seat on that little ledge. It fies to the rear of the car...just as in that '69 pictured in this thread. It's powered by a bridged amplifier..

The trunk lid, floor and walls all have dynamat.
The passenger compartment is Dynamatted, and behind the door panels is that spray on
Noize Kilz" stuff.

I just bought the new Kenwood head unit with the built in DVD player and moving map display. That will be replacing the Alpine head unit.

Hopefully, one of these days, I'll get pics of everything.

Right now I'm in the process of cleaning house to sell it as we're moving...

Cheers,
David

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just to be clear the Camaro pic above isnt mine, it is Donald Bigbies and is one hot ride. Custom kick pannels can be made by laying down aluminum foil on the kick pannels in the shape you want and then fiberglassing over it, when you get the rough out liine you can clean it up with more glassing and resin, and you can either cover it with leather or fabric or sand it smooth and paint it.then you tuck the edges under some windlace in the door opening and can attach it with brackets towards the firewall. Itsnot easy but its not bad, alot of good stereo install places will make them for you but make sure they do a good job, if you dont like how it turns out then make them do it again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey, thats my car in the link...lol

You should see it now thats it's done...it's going to be shot for auto sound and security in 3 weeks....
thanks for the comments on the car

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THIS IS GREAT!!! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear/find/see. So for everyone else out there reading this and thinking that theres is not worthy to mention, or dont think that they have the time, go ahead. You dont know how much you will be helping me/ others out. Thanks for everything so far and lets keep them coming!!!!!!
Robby

1 - 12 of 12 Posts