Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RS/SS 396 gets up to ninety and cuts out like it is not getting fuel. I have installed a GM Elec Ign, new wires, new fuel filter, plugs, etc. Basically tuned it up. On the analyzer, it runs perfect. My guess at this point is fuel pump. It has a mechanical now. I am considering an elec. the prev. owner had one...i don't know what. I have been told a 100 gph is the way to go. What do you think? Any reccomendations. The engine has 75000 original miles and runs fine until you punch it or run it up into the high 80's low 90's. Oh yeah, it has a rebuilt 4 barrel that has had the bowls punched out.
One more thing, we're having a hard time tuning the ping out of it as well...i live up a big long hill, and it pings at about 2000 rpm when it is warm....any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am by no means a car expert, but I believe when a car pings, it usually means you should be using a higher octane fuel. What are you using now? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by malemute:
My RS/SS 396 gets up to ninety and cuts out like it is not getting fuel. I have installed a GM Elec Ign, new wires, new fuel filter, plugs, etc. Basically tuned it up. On the analyzer, it runs perfect. My guess at this point is fuel pump. It has a mechanical now. I am considering an elec. the prev. owner had one...i don't know what. I have been told a 100 gph is the way to go. What do you think? Any reccomendations. The engine has 75000 original miles and runs fine until you punch it or run it up into the high 80's low 90's. Oh yeah, it has a rebuilt 4 barrel that has had the bowls punched out.
One more thing, we're having a hard time tuning the ping out of it as well...i live up a big long hill, and it pings at about 2000 rpm when it is warm....any ideas?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by malemute:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had the same prob did all the same thing to my 350 and it was the fuel pump i changed that and my problems solved so mybe??

·
10,144 Posts
Do you have a high perf mechanical pump now or a stock one?
Carter makes some good mechanical pumps. I think they are six valve. 3 intake 3 exhaust. Sometimes a valve can come loose and flop around. They are just staked in place.
Also make shure you don't have any leaks on the suction side of the pump. The pump would rather suck air than fuel. Make shure you have good hose and clamps.

David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts