Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new US Radiator and a new repro fan shroud for my '67 396. The radiator appears exactly like the old one. When I went to put on the fan shroud last night, there is not a cutout in the top corner on the drivers side of the shroud to allow the radiator hose outlet to clear. On the old fan shroud, someone had hand cut this notch for clearance. Is there a new fan shroud available that has the notch molded in? Is it common practice to have to cut this? This is the second shroud I have ordered, each from different Camaro specialty parts houses and they are identical. I hate to chop up a $75.00 part but maybe that's how it goes???
Thanks to anyone who can give me some guidance!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Denver,
I had the same problem on my 67. I have a 327 and when my shroud came in I tried to cut the shroud to fit the radiator with no luck. Just could not seem to get the correct angles and stuff. Wasted $70. I guess this is common to have to modify these things.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After doing some checking and pulling up the US Radiator web page, I think I may have figured it out. All radiators for big blocks are supposed to have a 23" wide core and the one sold to me has a 21" core. So the big block radiator shroud is too wide for this radiator. I am going back to the radiator shop today, but I am 99% sure I have a small block radiator.

·
Registered
230 Posts
21" and 23" have much different shrouds - I have a 23" ('67 A/C car) - the new shroud I got fit perfect with no hacking at all. Only thing I hate is the stupid clips on the side

Also - the shroud was new GM - so you should be able to buy from local Chevy dealer....

Steve

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After doing some research in various catalogues and looking on the internet at the US Radiator site, I am very confident that ALL big block Camaros should have a radiator with a core that measures 23" wide from tank-to-tank. The small blocks with very few exceptions (Z-28s?) look like they came with radiators with a 21" wide core. Someone correct me, but I believe a 2 row, 3 row and 4 row all have a different thickness, but are still either 21" or 23" wide. Having said that, my '67 has two sets of holes punched from the factory on the drivers side of the radiator support to accomodate either the 21" or 23" wide radiator. So it appears that if someone wanted to get more cooling from a 23" radiator, it would be a bolt-in replacement for the 21".
Anyway, when ordering a fan shroud, measure the radiator core from tank-to-tank and give that measurement to your parts guy so he gets you the one that fits. I put my fan shroud on the new 23" radiator last night and it fits perfectly with no cutting required.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My car didn't have a fan shroud, so like a good camaro owner, I got one for my 327. It lasted about 10 seconds. It was just a bit to tight. The next one I got, I cut the botton so I could spread it apart. That 1/8 or so spead made the difference. Like alot of parts, they don't always fit like the original.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I just installed a BB radiator, GM clutch fan, and GM shroud, all from Ricks' (US Radiator).
The radiator is 23" wide and 2 3/4 thick (4 row). Radiator and shroud fit like a glove. Only problem was not enough clearance to put fan in!!
Had to bend the snot out of the mounting brackets to fit the fan between pump and radiator. Still have less than 1/2 inch between end of clutch and radiator. A bit scary, but so far no problems.
Had to "straighten" the fan. it was over 1/4" out of flat. Too much "wobble" (GM fan).
Radiator hoses wouldn't stay on; had to put more "lip" on the hose connections on the readiator.
Guess even GM stuff doesn't fit either.

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1506559&a=11674961

1 - 9 of 9 Posts