Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install a fuel filter between my mechanical fuel pump and carb, but have stainless steel braided hoses. I need to cut this hose to install the filter. What is the best method to cut this hose?

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
There is a kool end installing tool that helps keep getting the wires stuck into your fingers. Called Koul tools. Jegs sells them in case you are gonna be doing a lot of braided hose plumbing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a metal cutting chop saw, I think I will try this method first. Thanks for the other options, I may end up using them also. I onlw have one cut to make, so it should be to difficult. Thanks again!!!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The chop saw is probably your best choice it would be nice if you had a helper hold the hose stretched tight and dont forget to wrap it with duct tape twice . Installing the ends are a lot of fun. Have you ever done that before? Have fun!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Very important though.......Your cut will be a lot more clean if you take the spot you want to cut and tape it a few times really tight with black electrical tape. It will help keep the ends from fraying. It will be good if you are a diabetic because you can do easy blood-sugar check from all the times you will probably prick your fingers with the little wire end!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
With a hose cutter, like the one from Summit, it makes a clean cut without any debris or taping required. Also, because of the shape of the blades it slightly crimps the stainless inward making easier to assemble the fittings. :thumbsup:

I've been assembling these lines for close to 30 years. I used to use a cutoff blade or hacksaw and would tape the line to keep it from fraying the stainless. One day I bought some line from my local speed shop and they used a hose cutter. I couldn't believe how easily they cut it and how clean the cut was. I bought a cutter that day.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
With a hose cutter, like the one from Summit, it makes a clean cut without any debris or taping required. Also, because of the shape of the blades it slightly crimps the stainless inward making easier to assemble the fittings. :thumbsup:

I've been assembling these lines for close to 30 years. I used to use a cutoff blade or hacksaw and would tape the line to keep it from fraying the stainless. One day I bought some line from my local speed shop and they used a hose cutter. I couldn't believe how easily they cut it and how clean the cut was. I bought a cutter that day.
Thanks Steve. One of them is on the way.:cool:

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
I used to use electrical tape...till coulnt find the roll and used duct tape...that is far better.
The hacksaw works ok, but a cutoff disk in the 4"grinder is far tidier.
For small diameter (as suggested above) a wood chisle and a good wack is also effective...dont use your good wood chisles!!!! Again tape 1st
Dont use tin snips or shear type cutters..not only kills the snips but dosesnt cut as well.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts

Tell me more...can you post a link to this part? I have braided fuel lines on 3 vehicles I own and I bled on every one of them!

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

I use these Klein cutters for -10 and smaller lines. Self powered single tool, use them in tight spots, makes a clean cut.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to tape them up and use a cutoff saw or hacksaw, but then I read about the sharp cold chisel trick. Wrap with tape, use a bfh and a sharp chisel wide enough to cut in one hit, and give it a good whack. Works perfect. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Thanks for the link Steve!

Mike, I've got a set of cable cutters that look exactly like that that are actually for cutting telcom cable bundles, and it doesn't work worth a crap for cutting braided stainless hose. I wonder if it is because your cutters are made specifically for a smaller diameter hose? The ones I have just mash and mangle the braided hose and turns the hose end into a deadly weapon.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Are they new and sharp? Mine cut through braided hose like butter, you just tape the line and make a quick firm cut.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Not new but extremely sharp. I can fit about a 1.5" diameter bundle of cable into it and it cuts them easily, but they aren't really pretty cuts. I was looking at it closer and think I see the problem...the blades don't seem to be close enough together to make a clean cut. I'll go to the tool warehouse back at home in a couple of weeks...they carry Klein tools so should carry a set of cutters like that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts