Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried putting the new "cylinder shut down" technology into and older Camaro to save gas? What is required? thinking about replacing the motor in a '71 .... I've done crate motors before, but how about the newer technology? I assume it would require wiring harness, CPU, injectors, sensors etc.... Are there any kits out there that make it easy? I need no smog for this car in California. Would like to save some gas but still get lotsa power. Ideas?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Has anyone tried putting the new "cylinder shut down" technology into and older Camaro to save gas? What is required? thinking about replacing the motor in a '71 .... I've done crate motors before, but how about the newer technology? I assume it would require wiring harness, CPU, injectors, sensors etc.... Are there any kits out there that make it easy? I need no smog for this car in California. Would like to save some gas but still get lotsa power. Ideas?
Sub. Interesting idea to use the fuel management system, don't think I've seen anyone go that route on a swap. I'm just guessing, but id assume you would need ECM, engine, trans and harness from a car the system in place. Might even have extra sensors in the exhaust, fuel system and how knows where else that it needs to read.

Like to see if we have any experts on this, and what they say.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Maximum efficiency achieved by GM cylinder deactivation is 12%. This was in the 2011 media release. In 2014, GM said it is 7.5%.
Say gas is $4 a gallon.
You're running an LS in a 71 and get 25mpg overall (being very generous).
Add cylinder deactivation and get 12% increase to 28mpg overall (this will not happen, the 12% is maximum achievement and will not happen all the time).

Drive 10,000 miles a year.
Cost to drive as is: $1600
Cost with deactivation: $1428

Cost to convert just say $1000 (also highly unlikely because it basically takes a whole new valvetrain plus the controls etc etc)

At an overly inflated started mpg starting point of 25mpg and extremely lowball price of $1000 it would take you 5.8 years to pay off the project IF you drove it 10,000 miles a year.
At 5000 miles a year it would take over 11 years to pay off.

Now, if your starting cost is greater than $1000 then the hole gets even deeper. I'd be willing to bet it might cost you $1000 just to get it tuned if you managed to get all the parts together.

·
14,115 Posts
You could probably buy a motor from a vehicle with displacement on demand and put it in your 71.

However as stated above if you drive 5000 per year you'll save at most about a $100.

The best way to get dramatic increase in mileage is to go with a OD tranny if you don't have one already

Btw my Silverado with DOD gets 16-20 mpg. A similar truck without gets 12-16

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
There's another problem with DOD. It's damn annoying. At least in our 13 Camaro SS with aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with the above. I have it in my 07 VMAX silverado. It sucks and will get tuned out soon.

The other thing is that it only works in light throttle cruise- who the heck stays off the loud pedal long enough in their muscle car on average to see that?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm back, here, and you guys are crackin' me up! Back to the original question.... HAS anyone done it??

...or, if not, what's the best gas mileage I'm lookin at for a ~450+ horse motor, naturally aspirated, fI, or otherwise?? Turbo? SC? I'm looking for project ideas, here....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts