Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 chevy silverado
K1500 4.8 vortec engine
at highway speds I get a droning and vibration when foot is on accelerator pedal.
no vibes on rural street driving.
rpms about 2000
on decel vibes go away?
no check engine light or any other indication its engine related?
cant be wheels etc cuz it would vibrate on decel also?
its got me stumped ?
no engine vibes in park at same rpm smooth as silk.
im wondering if it can be fuel filter or TBI nozzles?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Wheel bearing?? fix a flat in a tire will do that too!! it wont have a droning noise though??have you had the wheels balanced in a while?? check the front wheel bearings for play!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
go down road at speed that it is at and lightly hit brake and see if it goes away. if it does than the torque converter is going bad.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
go down road at speed that it is at and lightly hit brake and see if it goes away. if it does than the torque converter is going bad.
dont know if i would trust that method for his problem that he is having!!..is your air cleaner lid on all the way and fastened good???

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well hit the brakes and it still vibrates
I did put it in neutral doing 70 and it went away.
I checked the wheels for play there is none.
also checked the belts and balancer on the motor all is good.
only vibrates under power
also vibrates like your driving over a road that has raingrooves or was ground down before you apply new asphalt.
I think its looking more and more engine related.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Agree with Ryan - What about u-joints in driveshaft?

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Motor mount or trans mount!! Could very well be a u joint also!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know this may sound too simple and I am sure you already thought about it but I just had the same exact problem with my Equinox.

At 70 mph it would begin to vibrate, braking at over 55 mph it would vibrate badly especially when you really got on the brakes. It almost took me off the road. If I would let it decellerate on it's own it went away. Also no problems off the highway like you.

All in all it was just Warped front rotors.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i found out what is causing the issue
it was none of the above.
when i hooked up to dyno I found out that I have a bad frame crack just after torsion bar crossmember.
(actually common in silverados im told)
well time to take out the mig welder and fix it.
btw U joints were good as new

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
well i found out what is causing the issue
it was none of the above.
When i hooked up to dyno i found out that i have a bad frame crack just after torsion bar crossmember.
(actually common in silverados im told)
well time to take out the mig welder and fix it.
Btw u joints were good as new
sell that puppy, if you get in a wreck your screwed, ask Eric kammerer...it happened to him in his truck!!.he is still fighting a big battle!!!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Dawg's crack sounds like it might be different than mine. The 4x4 GMT800 trucks develop a crack aft of the torsion bar mount, particularly if using a plow in the winter.

See Post #39 in this thread: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=37054&page=2
http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=75634

I believe the second link can lead you to some gusset plates the guys have been installing. Just welding the crack shut is only a cosmetic fix.

My crack was catastrophic failure at the bottom of the joint where the hydroform box and C-channel frame are joined, and it nearly cost me my foot. I wouldn't drive a GMT800 again if you gave it to me and the bed was full of $20 bills. I'd unload it, then set it on fire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts