Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As long as I've had these gauges the tachometer needle is always bouncing around besides at idle. Once I'm diving the needle will jump 1000 rpm up and down, so it's difficult to tell what it's really at. Any ideas what could be the cause? I didn't install the gauges but have read through the instructions. I know tach is ran off negative terminal on the coil.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Call them. They should be able to recommend or supply a filter to fix the bounce.

Don

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
684 Posts
I’m going to guess the first thing they will recommend is to ensure you have good ground to the control box so you might wanna go ahead and get that out of the way before you call them.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Is it a HEI distributor?

Don

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
I’m going to guess the first thing they will recommend is to ensure you have good ground to the control box so you might wanna go ahead and get that out of the way before you call them.
Wouldn’t a control box ground issue affect all gauge functions, not just the tach?

Don

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn’t a control box ground issue affect all gauge functions, not just the tach?

Don
I know most electrical stuff does come from bad grounds but I agree, feel like I'd see issues everywhere and it is solely just the tach needle that acts weird. I went through the settings and changed the tach update from fast to slow and same thing. Thought maybe it was accurately updating but for whatever reason my engine rev'd weird but not the case.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Is your condenser bad?

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
684 Posts

Don
Yeah, I’d think maybe so but I still think that will be the first thing they’ll ask him check. 15 years in technical support and I know there is usually a set of default question you always ask first. With automotive electronics, ensuring good ground seems to be one of them. I asked them a question about something and that was one of the things they came back with. So, I’d do it just to speed up the process. Run a wire direction from battery negative to the Dakota box. If the problem persists, call them and then you can say with confidence the problem is not with ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As long as I've had these gauges the tachometer needle is always bouncing around besides at idle. Once I'm diving the needle will jump 1000 rpm up and down, so it's difficult to tell what it's really at. Any ideas what could be the cause? I didn't install the gauges but have read through the instructions. I know tach is ran off negative terminal on the coil.
I had the same issue with the Dakota Digital VHX gauges in my '62 Biscayne. I installed them a few years ago and at first the tach was great then after a year or so mine started jumping all around as well. I talked to DD at a show and they asked me all the typical questions and said if the controller or panel was bad that all the gauges would act weird, not just the tach. So I never tried to fix it, just let it go. This fall I had an issue with the car not starting without using starter fluid so I did a full tune-up including plugs, wires and coil. It starts great and the issue with the tach is gone. I would bet money on the tach issue (and hard starting) was the coil the entire time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts