Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my first start up of my new big block after timing was set, I went for a drive it didn't run well. I drove home and pulled the plugs and checked them, I found 1 that had the electrode that was hit by something the electrode was almost cut or nocked off and the other was hit to where there was no gap. What is doing this piston or valve. Thanks

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Piston. What head castings, what pistons and what spark plugs are you using?

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Really need the casting number of the heads, plus we really need to know what spark plug you have. You probably have the wrong plugs for the head. Plugs come in several lengths and if they are too long, they will hit the piston.

·
19,843 Posts
Really need the casting number of the heads, plus we really need to know what spark plug you have. You probably have the wrong plugs for the head. Plugs come in several lengths and if they are too long, they will hit the piston.
I agree... plugs reach is too long.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Well, those plugs oughta work by application for 71 and later heads, but since they are hitting I suggest you go with a NON extended tip plug. I don't know Autolite numbers, but in AC they would be something like R43T or R44T. Any AC plug with a "S" on the end is an extended tip plug and you'll be right back in the same situation. Who knows, the pistons may have bigger domes than normal, the block may have been decked, or the heads may have been milled a bunch. Whatever, you need plugs without the extended tips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts