Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a set of original vintage keystone raiders wheels for my second gen. I was told to order a set of inserts to make them fit my application because the rims have oval holes in them. I took them to discount tire and they wouldnt even touch them and they said it would be a liability if they even put tires on them for me. is there something wrong with universal 5 lugs? and anyone know if it is still possible to get the little offset washers or inserts that make em work??

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
You should be able to get the right lugs for the oval holes... If this is what you are referring to, just call the rim manufacture.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe there was some kind of insert that would go into the rim to make it fit a chevy or a ford. I was told that keystone was out of business

·
Premium Member
367 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
call jegs they have tech support and have in stock exactly what you need for the conversion, also @#$ discount tires, goto sams club or walmart, for mounting/balancing, those rims do look awesone, worth all the hastle.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
A buddy of mine had Keystone's on his 1968 Firebird which had a bad @$$ 454 BBC way back in the day (early 1990's) He would shear the studs right off on those wheels. Of course he was running skinny front tires and N-50X15's in the back....Great smoke shows w/ those tires! :D Wheels were worthless imho and dangerous too!

I agree call Jegs or Summit. They may be able to steer you in the right direction.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Imho, there is NOTHING wrong w/ uni-lug designs, but I would re-torque them over a week DD her until they took a set like my headers do!

And back then, I've seen steel rims w/ 15 holes in them!! 4.5"/4.75"/5.0" stud patterns!

pdq67

·
Registered
170 Posts
ET unilug, use the correct washers and the lug nuts with a shank and retorque once in a while, should be NO problem. I used them back "in the day" and never had a problem. Sheeze, today's lawyers have everyone so damn paraniod !!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I took them to discount tire and they wouldnt even touch them
I don't know if Discount Tire has a written policy about rims, but they do have one for tires. I think if the tire is older than 6 years, they won't repair it.

Rims do weaken with stress (high mileage), so it's not unreasonable for them to not want to service them.

Maybe they have a strict liability insurance policy, maybe they just want to sell new tires and rims, or maybe both.

·
Registered
101 Posts
dangerous my butt. Buy a set of new Crager SS rims in 14 or 15 inch and they are unilug. I got a set from summit for my 68 Vert and for what reason I don't know why crager never used the insert wish they had.As far as mounting tires the local Goodyear shop didn't seem to mind.
make sure they're centered they won't do it on their own because your not using a conical lugnut you have to center the wheels on the car This is how a friend of mine and I did it in 1978 to my 69 Camaro and the way I do it on my 68 Convertible:

Just take a Coke bottle fill it with water to make it heavy. take a good ol tie rap used to fasten wiring put it around the top of the neck of the bottle with the part you usally cut off sticking out place it so it just touches the tire ,spin the tire if it touches all the way around your centered if not work with it till it does. If you do alot of driving check them once a week:noway:
Hope this Helps
David 68 SS TKO600, 350 HO,15" Crager SS mags

·
Registered
101 Posts
The keystone Classic which was a nice 60's&70's mag wheel uses the insert is carried by Summit They were bought by crager some time ago.I would say the wheels used the same insert sorry i didn't remember it till today or I'd have told you in the last post
Hope this helps David

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the response guys I will go ahead and use them because they look so good on a camaro :D glad to hear I didnt waste my money thanks :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts