Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new dart shp block...small block chevy w/ 4.125 bore version. Can I put a 4.00 stroke crank and 6" rods in it? I want to build a 427 stroker with it, can it be done safely? Has anyone here done this yet? I want to start looking for my rotating assembly and want some advice please.

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
I just picked up a new dart shp block...small block chevy w/ 4.125 bore version. Can I put a 4.00 stroke crank and 6" rods in it? I want to build a 427 stroker with it, can it be done safely? Has anyone here done this yet? I want to start looking for my rotating assembly and want some advice please.
You will probably have to get the block clearanced. Just check with a reputable builder, or even call DART and see what they say.

·
Banned
938 Posts
I have nevr been a big fan of putting a 4 inch arm in a 9.000 deck block as you end up with a cam looking like a pencil and the rod angle sucks as well, If I were building a 427 SBC it would be a 3.875 X 4.185 and you wont need to clearance anything.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Hey Carl Is 4.185 the bore size? And what length rod would you use?

6 inch rod and Little-M blocks as the SHP will not be safe at 4.185 bore size

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carl you now have me confused.... This thread is based on the SHP block and building a 427. Your first post stated " 3.875 x 4.185 and you have to clearance anything" What are talking about exactly please?

·
19,844 Posts
4.125 = stock 400 bore
4.155 = .030 over
4.165 = .040 over
4.185= .060 over

Per Dart's site 4.165 x 3.750 max recommended.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Doug! So what will I end up with cubic inch wise if I use the 3.875 crank and keep the bore where it is at 4.125 ? and I guess use a 6" rod?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I was gonna say I just finished a 413 on av gas. 730hp/ ungodly amount of trq. Pushes an S-10 with a guy thats prolly 280lbs, to 5.80 CONSISTENTLY.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Steve/Harley...So I think I will keep it at 4.125 bore, leaves room for growth if needed.

So...I can use a 3.875 stroke crank and 6" rods, right? and not have to do any clearance work as Carl stated above? If so this is where Im heading wih this.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Thanks Steve/Harley...So I think I will keep it at 4.125 bore, leaves room for growth if needed.

So...I can use a 3.875 stroke crank and 6" rods, right? and not have to do any clearance work as Carl stated above? If so this is where Im heading wih this.
If you are going to use the SHP block it may need clearancing and the Little-M is all clearanced for 3.875 with a steel rod.

Next month Dart will reduced the price of there Little-M blocks 300 dollars on the Billet cap block and 200 dollars on there Sportsman block.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Carl,

I already have the shp block so this is what I will be building off of. Just trying to figure exactly what...

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
#6 abd #8 may have to be cleaned up a little, I cant remember. Carl knows this Ill bet. Wasnt this engine (Dart SHP) JUST IN a hot rod or engine masters magazine?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
#6 abd #8 may have to be cleaned up a little, I cant remember. Carl knows this Ill bet. Wasnt this engine (Dart SHP) JUST IN a hot rod or engine masters magazine?
I would like to know the answer to this myself...If anyone knows please post a link

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Carl...Have you (or anyone else for that matter) installed a 3.875 stroke crank in a Dart SHP block? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
If you are talking about the rod for cam clearance, the offending rods are usually 1,2,5,6 maybe one or two maybe all will be close or hit depending on the cam and rods.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I dont see why you couldnt. However the SHP block I played with #6 and #8 DID have to be clearanced. We ran a small diameter custom ground cam also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts