Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I keep popping the dash light fuse....any thoughts on what might be causing this?

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
Someplace there's a gray wire pinched or you used it to ground your aftermarket radio. I think someone else cured their problem by replacing the Headlight switch.

Jeff

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someplace there's a gray wire pinched or you used it to ground your aftermarket radio. I think someone else cured their problem by replacing the Headlight switch.

Jeff
Ya, I was thinking the same thing....my brother in law who owned the car before me made some real good spaghetti w/ the wires under there when he added the after market radio....I'm scared to go down there:sad::noway:

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
Ya, I was thinking the same thing....my brother in law who owned the car before me made some real good spaghetti w/ the wires under there when he added the after market radio....I'm scared to go down there:sad::noway:

Thanks guys!
Knowing this that would be the first thing I looked at!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Dash lights and tail lights are on the same fuse if I remember correctly. If so, check the trail light wiring next.

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
Dash lights and tail lights are on the same fuse if I remember correctly. If so, check the trail light wiring next.
Steve, you're real close. the dash lights get power when the tailights are on thru the tailight fuse. If the tail light wiring is the problem the taillight fuse blows (and you lose dash lights) but the dashlight fuse is good.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Steve, you're real close. the dash lights get power when the tailights are on thru the tailight fuse. If the tail light wiring is the problem the taillight fuse blows (and you lose dash lights) but the dashlight fuse is good.

Jeff
But.... When are the tail lights off and the dash lights on??? :confused: Is that possible? Not that they ARE on the same dash light fuse... I don't know about that. :p

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I chased the same problem for a long time before finding it was the headlight switch. I disconnected EVERYTHING electrical in the car and the fuse still blew immediately when the lights were turned on.
Mine does not blow right away....its through time and given the infrequency of time the car gets driven....I have no idea (yet) as to how long it takes.....headlight switches easy to find for 69 Camaro? I have pulled all the fuses for the aftermarket radio as someone told this may be the culprit....i doubt it though because the radio has been in there for eons........I'm gonna' lean towards the headlight switch....thanks everyone for all your input....you all make owning one of these a little easier:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
The aftermarket guys have repros or Delco replacement switches. Maybe local car parts or GM guys, too? Make sure if you have an RS or non-RS you get the correct one...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts