Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting in gauges. What wire (color) off the head light switch turns on instrument cluster lights?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed....I probed a few and found blue turned them on with headlights but not running/turn signal lights and purple for just running/turn signal lights. Didn't want to swiss cheese the rest chasing which one

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
If you want them dimable you need to hook them into a gray wire if it's a 69. I assume that the early years are the same but it's been too long since I;ve worked on anything that old.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I think the green wire at the headlight switch is dimmable and this wire then goes down to the fuse block to the small fuse and fuse clip labeled INST LPS and then the other side of the fuse and it's fuse clip, the wire on it is then Gray and goes out to things like the instrument panel, heater control panel, and Radio. Normally if I am adding additional lights that I need for illumination and work with the headlight dimmer switch, I tap into the 1/4" male terminal in the fuse block to the left of the INST LPS 4A fuse and labeled LPS

A concern of mine is the green wire I think is protected by a higher value fuse than the Gray wire with it passing power through the small 4A fuse in the fuse block.

Jim

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Nova for pointing out the INST fuse. I have a 67 so fuse panel is different than pic but does have a open tab for that circuit.

I used the green wire, it is dimmable. Works great

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Thanks Nova for pointing out the INST fuse. I have a 67 so fuse panel is different than pic but does have a open tab for that circuit.

I used the green wire, it is dimmable. Works great
I kinda thought your year had a different layout on the fuse block but I just don't have any good fuse block pictures from the front and backside of one from a Camaro.
The closest I have is one from a Chevelle and on it you can see the feed side of the fuse block for the instrument light fuse (labeled E) being attached to a Green wire and then on the other side past the fuse the wire changes to a Gray and also tied into the dual 1/4" male terminals (labeled F) for adding additional things to the fuse block.

Jim

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ironically on my 96 Impala SS when I added a oil pressure gauge...it was a grey wire to tap into for "dash lights" also.

Guess GM sticks with a wire color code plan :)

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
Ironically on my 96 Impala SS when I added a oil pressure gauge...it was a grey wire to tap into for "dash lights" also.

Guess GM sticks with a wire color code plan :)
They have for the years I was in the business. from the mid 70's until about 1990. I repaired many a radio installation that the radio ground was hooked to the gray and caused the inst lamp fuse to blow. It must have been in the instructions or a whole bunch of people used the same installer.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts