Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
replaced the dash pad in 69 camaro. No clips were provided with the new dash pad. The old clips don't really set well in the pad slots and seem usless since the provide no spring action to hold the pad doen. This i an OER replacement. Are there other clips that are needed for teh OER dash pad?
thx
joec

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Those clips are a pain but you gotta use them. Maybe try a big glob of silicone and let it cure to make them stay long enough to install the dash pad. The instructions that came with my dash pad said to bend the tiny tab inward to tighten the grip a bit but when I tried, they would always snap off! Think about the silicone. I would do it that way next time.

-Mark.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I just installed an OER dash in my '69 and used the original clips. You are correct that they fit a little loose when you clip them to the dash, but they definitely do the job once you install the pad onto the metal dash structure. I didn't think it was a big deal because the clip mounting areas on my original dash were in good condition and the clips fit loosely on the original dash too.

I wouldn't recommend using silicone. The clips hold the pad close to the metal. If the silicone globs are too big, the pad won't rest against the metal.

Thought I would add - the OER repro 69 dash is pretty good. The fit was excellent, but the finish could use more detail. The molded grain and stitching was not as pronounced as my original. It's a great piece for a rodder, but definitely not good enough for a resto freak.

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 04-09-2002).]

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Not sure why the one from Rick's would be any better, unless it has to do with molding details. The OER dash fit PERFECTLY - not too short, not too long - and I installed it on a cool 50 degree day. There was absolutely no issue with "making it fit".

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bent my clips a little and used epoxy to set them in. It worked for me. The pad however seemed a little short because the end flap where the screw hole is on the drivers side doesn't clear the dash. I can't screw in the side of the pad. No one ever notices unless I tell them. Hope yours fits better.

------------------
69 Camaro RS (SS Clone) 350 Daytona Yellow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts