Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Camaro Convertible
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I purchased a Classic Headquarters dash pad for an A/C car as well as a factory A/C center vent to use with the Vintage Air system. I'm fitting the dash pad now and, while the pad looks very nice, it doesn't really fit very tight where it meets the cluster on either side. There's a lot of space in there. I'm wondering if that is fairly normal and folks just live with it or whether I got a bad fitting pad or there is some alteration that could be made to make it look better. It gets only slightly better when all the clips and screws are installed. Thanks.

Paul

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Grey

Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Grey Carbon

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Rectangle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
63 Posts
I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. Apparetly its normal. The photos of the ends you posted dont bother me that much. The part that does bother me is the center section of the guages. It seems as though one side always sits higher than the other. I see it on almost every photo I look at.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
I thought CHQ was the best. Have you tried a heat gun to see if you can tweak the fit?

·
Registered
1969 Camaro Convertible
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't tried a heat gun, but I don't think for this it would help. I bought the CHQ because I read on this forum that it was the best. It's likely not their fault because I'm using a reproduction gauge bezel. The pad does look nice and fits well side to side, but I had to get a razor blade and cut the dash where it curves around the defroster/vent controls a little bit to make it look better. Also, the holes in the dash pad that are supposed to line up and screw into the cluster above the speedo and tach are off by 1/2 inch. There is the requisite gap on both ends at the A-pillar, but the gap is only about a half inch or so on either side and looks fine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I haven't tried a heat gun, but I don't think for this it would help. I bought the CHQ because I read on this forum that it was the best. It's likely not their fault because I'm using a reproduction gauge bezel. The pad does look nice and fits well side to side, but I had to get a razor blade and cut the dash where it curves around the defroster/vent controls a little bit to make it look better. Also, the holes in the dash pad that are supposed to line up and screw into the cluster above the speedo and tach are off by 1/2 inch. There is the requisite gap on both ends at the A-pillar, but the gap is only about a half inch or so on either side and looks fine.
Yes it is a poor fit and it is a common problem with dash pads. Two potential solutions; ive used use a strip of high strength, self adhesive backed Velcro between the protruding section and the adjoining edge. It will close that gap and hold it . Or epoxy a flat headed stud to the rear of the protruding section, drill a hole for the stud through the adjoining section and fasten with a speed nut. It will close the gap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts