Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well, I've been too busy to do much work on my interior recently, but I took a look at my old dash pad the other night... I had originally planned on simply replacing it, but have since thought that I might just try to re-skin or cover it somehow. (save some $ and possible hassle at poor fitting replacements).

The pad is structurally solid, but the vinyl is cracked all over the place. Doing a little searching of the archives, I found some mention of a cover that NPD sells. Anybody have any more info on this? Also, has anyone ever custom stitched a vinyl or fake leather cover to slip over the pad? Reupholstered with carpeting?

Of course, I'm not looking for original, just something that can make my old, beat up ivy gold pad look nice, new, and black. :D

Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The high end tape is Duck Tape, comes in a variety of colors...... seriously never seen any DIY repair that looked good.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think you ought to use vinyl body filler. If you do it right you can even get the textured look.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm... duck tape eh? I hadn't really thought about that ol' reliable option...

what about finding some vinyl and heat molding it? Possible?

·
Retired
16,044 Posts
Sorry John had to do it

·
Registered
967 Posts
I had my dash pad recovered. Craziest thing is there wasnt a crack in it. But I was changing the upolstery color on seats and everything else had to match that color. I would find a good upolstery guy in your area to cover it. Being you are doing a custom dash anyhow, having it covered would look nice. Not sure what color your painting your dash but if its a color other than black you may want to pick a color upolstery that blends nice with the dash color. Take a piece of metal thats painted with you.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Someone makes a dash pad cover. It's just a vacuum molded piece that fits over the top with a lip that extends down the front a bit. I know I've seen them on ebay, but surely someone like JC whitney would have them. I don't remember seeing them in any of the resto catalogs.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
don't worry, you guys can't scare me off that easy.

I'm doing the whole interior in a black/grey scheme. I've painted the dash grey and most of the rest of the interior will be grey, but with black accents. You can see some preliminary color pics on my site in the "interior" section.

I may look into finding a shop that can mold me a cover if I can't heat mold one myself. Don't worry, I'll stay away from any sort of patterned velvet!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gary,
that interior is just hideous! :eek:
We just painted ours, and there is a need for repair but that can be done later, try e-bay out sometimes you get lucky, we did with the carpet

·
Registered
574 Posts
There is a company called "Coverlay" that makes overlays for dashes but a quick search of their site showed no results for 1st gen camaros. http://www.coverlaymfg.com/
You might call them and see if they make them. I have seen one put on a Monte Carlo dash and it looked very good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts