Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use a little feedback on this. Painting the dash - would you use lacquer or acrylic enamel. Flat on top obviously but gloss or "semi" on front?:confused:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
What color are you shooting?

For 68, the dash face is a low gloss, and the dash top is "O" gloss, with a suede finish (texturizer). As far as what type of paint, it depends on your goal. Lacquer is "correct", but may be harder to find and more susceptible to scratches and damage.

If your dash happens to be black, a lot of guys are happy with Rustoleum 7777 satin black on the face. Wears well, and costs $5 at any local store that sells paints.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I would like to know more about the textured finish on the top of the 68 dash. Has anyone done this? With what and how?

I have read about the problem with Armoural etc...sand to the metal? Seems to be a mixed opinion out there as to what to do.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used the Krylon Semi-Flat Black on the dash below the dash pad on my 68 and it was just about as perfect as I could have hoped for. Really nice and it goes on very smooth and hard to run the stuff unless you just hold it in one place. There are lots of previous posts on this subject and some of them as recent as last week. You might want to check out the old posts for additional information.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
9317 is the dash top, black 0 gloss with texture. 9266 is the low gloss black for the face.

I played around with Rustoleum 7220 textured black for the dash top. I can't tell the difference between 9317 and the Rustoleum 7220.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I used krylon semi gloss on the front of my 67 looks really good. I had to use krylon black primer under it even though it wasn"t down to bare metal because if i didn't it wanted to fish eye in some spots. I could get you the number if interested.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The Rustoleum 7220 looks pretty good on the top. BUT, be sure to spray it in light even coats. Spots that I sprayed too heavy look too glossy, and the texture didn't flow out right. (Too much help from Mr. Miller I think!!!).......JB:clonk:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts