Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked numerous threads and haven't come up with an answer for this.
I just finished an AAW classic update install in my 69 and the dash park light stays on with the key off. I have unplugged the combination valve wire and no change. If I release the park brake the light goes out.
I understand with the park brake on and the key on that the dash light should be on, why would it be staying on with the key off shouldn't this be switched?
Any suggstions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
If you ground your temp switch or oil pressure switch wire, (also with key in off position), do those dash lights illuminate as well? Is the fuel gauge also still working/responding?

Not your hazards, but do your directional indicators work with the key off?
Do you have full time power at the IGN terminal on the fuse panel?

·
Super Moderator
32,603 Posts
Do you have full time power at the IGN terminal on the fuse panel?
Pink wire from ign switch is power for all warning lights. There may be a miswire at the steering column connector. Check colors on both sides ensuring they match each other.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Can always call Don Bock at AAW. Dial the 800 number and use dial by name option (used to be 9, but listen to make sure it still is) and input B-O-C-K. Donny has forgotten more than many of us will ever know.

I did the Update in mine and did not have this issue, but given that it appears that the normally open switch on the parking brake assembly seems to be working (light goes out when the switch opens and removes the ground that completes the warning light circuit), it would appear you somehow have constant power to the circuit, which should not happen.

If you explain all to Donny, he can give a direction to go. Post back and let us know if you find whatever is causing the problem. That is a pretty simple circuit, so hopefully the fix is simple as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Car has the console gauge package. Checked the turn signals - they come on with the key off when activated. The dash lights only come on when the headlight switch is pulled on.
Checked the steering column connector and all the wires line up.
Put a multimeter on the fuse panel at the ignition terminal. I grounded the black wire to the emergency brake and the red to the terminal. With the ignition switch off it only lights up on one side of the fuse terminal. with the ignition switch on the power is detected on both terminals across the fuse (does this make sense?
Eric I put a call into Donny @AAW today but we didn't get connected. I am going to try him again in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
32,603 Posts
With the ignition switch off it only lights up on one side of the fuse terminal. with the ignition switch on the power is detected on both terminals across the fuse (does this make sense?
You should have no power on either side of IGN fuse with ign sw off.
On back side of fuse panel, check to see if red wire (battery) is swapped with pink wire (ignition power).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is some adjustment on the ignition switch in a 69 - perhaps it's not really off even though the lock cyl says off.
I wonder if this is the problem. I installed a new ignition tumbler and the off position doesn't seem to lock in positive like it use to. Would it be the switch or the tumbler that is causing this?

I was thinking of taking it out and putting the old lock set back in because I don't like the feel of the new one???

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
The lock cyl just operates a little rack that moves a rod which operates the switch. The switch is mounted to the top of the column on slotted holes that allow for adjustment. I owned mine for 20+ years and could never get anything to work in the ACC position - I just thought that's the way it was until I adjusted the switch. That's where I'd look first - much easier than pulling the wheel and swapping lock cylinders.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a chance to catch Donny at AAW yesterday. After talking with him and with your help here I think I can get this figured out.
Donny suggested I test if the power is coming from the ignition switch by simply unplugging the black and white connectors and see if there is still power to the ignition terminal on the fuse block. Also if it is the switch, it is likely the brake light indicator will function properly. If this fixes the problem then as Al said I will need to adjust the ignition switch or replace it if it is faulty.
If not then I will have to start tracing pink wires to see if I crossed them up somewhere.
I am itching to get at this but I have a date (anniversary) with my wife this weekend Salmon fishing on Van. Isle so it will have to wait until I get back after the weekend.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow too darn busy so it took a while to get back to this.
Al nailed it. Turns out the switch on the column was out of adjustment and was leaving the contacts open. This allowed the power to stay on even though ignition was shut off.
Thanks again for the help Team Camaro Members.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts