Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is involved in removing the dash pad?? My heater controls have some how come loose and pushed themselves back into the dash :eek: I started poking around today and it looks like the dash is held on by some screws but in someplaces the pad is loose while in others it doesn't budge. WHat holds it down? I am a total newbee at interrior so please be specific. THanks.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
1 screw each end of pad on side of dash, 4 screws at top of speedo and tach (or gas gage), 3 nuts above glove box behind dash and 6 clips that slide into top of dash. Remove glove box liner to reach 3 nuts. Undo 6 screws then slide pad straight back.
Gary

·
Registered
75 Posts
Depending on if you have the stock dashpad or a repop. If you have a stock one there could be up to seven nuts holding it in. If it is a repop there is only like four or five. Now that being said if you have the glovebox installed you will have to remove the door than the box ,there should be anywhere from two to three nuts up under and above the glovebox opening. if you have air conditioning you will have to move the ducts out of the way to get to the nuts also. If it is a stock dashpad you will have to remove the screws from the instrument carrier and bring it forward a little. If it is a repop you don't have to worry about that. There is also two phillips head screws that need to be removed one on each side next to the doors. In these pictures if you can make it out this is a repro dash pad and you can see where it bolts in.

The bolts you see here are the passenger side of the dashpad because it is a reproduction it only has four bolts and the two screws I described earlier those clips you see towards the bottom are there to hold it in place be careful when you remove the dashpad because these tend to fall out. I hope this info helps you out, just take your time and don't tug on it to hard until you know for sure you have taken off all the fixtures.

·
Retired
16,008 Posts
I just re-installed my dash pad last night.
Like the guys said, outside edges have screws. I also had a screw next to my VIN number. Need small phillips in there.
Then the tall,skinny bolts which are a royal pain. I reached the 3 above the glove box opening with the box out of course. It was tight, but with my fat fingers I still got them, but not with a wrench of any kind. Lay on your back on the passenger floor is easiest, but I had my seats out. Just fingered them off. Then up thru the ashtray hole, with tray out of course, reached the one above the heater controls. Go slowly, there are lots of sharp edges under there. But you will get them. The pad does slip into place easily so you will know when its loose.
good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts