Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to restore the their dashpad? I was looking on ebay for a new dashpad and there was a 69 dash pad cap for $80 (buy it now). Basically it is supposed to go over your existing dash. It doesn't look horribly complicated, and the pictures looked pretty good. Mopar muscle magazine did an article on them, but they have access to a lot more tools than and free hands than I do. Here is a link to the article http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/5139_dashboard_rebuild/
Any thoughts, opinions, feedback are appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
:D Hi robert, I had a bad experiance buying new:sad: , the backing is just a cheap piece of tin not heavy steal like origanal, & when you go to tighten it down its not strong enough to pull it tight to dash so it pulls dimples into the pad. (looked like crap).:angry: Sent it back, had my origanal redone by a local interiorist & turned out pretty good.The moral of the story is DO NOT LOSE YOUR ORIGANAL PARTS they dont make anything like the origanal. Yea, take a shot at that cap if you think you can do it. Its nice to meet ya, Good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Egore, thanks for the reply. I was seriously considering a repop. Now I am not so sure. My buddy bought a reproduction dash for his chevelle and he is extremely happy with it. I found an original 69 dash in mint shape at swap meet for $150 but it was for an A/C car. :mad: Looks like I am going to have to call around to some interior shops and get some price quotes!

·
Registered
295 Posts
:secret: Any body else have bad luck like i did, please pipe up if so. So we all know what is kinda good & kinda not (Bad language). Just trying to help out robert so he doesnt go through what i did.:beers:

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
akxteme,

if you haven't already, do a site search for dashpads. the feedback you are looking for has already been posted. if you can refinish and reuse the original, you will eliminate all possible fitment issues.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Johnnysalami, yes I did do a search for dashpads. (as I try to almost everytime before I post) I see where most people have sent their dashs off to get restored and are very happy, and everyone is upset with reproductions. Who isn't? The feedback I was looking for was on the do it yourself kit. I will search some more, but I didn't see much feedback on that.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
843 Posts
can't comment on the diy kits but the overlay pads we tried, 6 of 'em for the challenger, were all returned. they just didn't fit or look right. after that experience, didn't even consider them for the camaro. what i will do is try and locate a detailed article we read on restoring a dash yourself. great info and a ton of pics. (i apologize now 'cause i believe it was in mopar muscle) once i find it i will scan it and email it to you.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I used the "cap" over a cracked original on a 68 camaro. Not a perfect fit but a good "driver" fix IMO. It all adds up..gotta know when good enough is good enough for the project at hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.