Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 Z28 and I would like to find a correct dated starter and Carb for my car. The build date of the car is 03D and I was wondering if I could use a Dec. 68 starter? If not how far back is acceptable?

How far back would be acceptable for the carb? I think just a few weeks prior to the build date of the car but not sure.

Thanks,

L Shaw

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Good question and one that might differ from one car to another as there was variation and the assembly lines had not initiated "first in, first out", back then. My 69 is approximately one month apart but have seen several examples of longer. I will let some of the experts chime in on this as I have read up to 3 months is acceptable but ?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have a 69 Z28 and I would like to find a correct dated starter and Carb for my car. The build date of the car is 03D and I was wondering if I could use a Dec. 68 starter? If not how far back is acceptable?

How far back would be acceptable for the carb? I think just a few weeks prior to the build date of the car but not sure.

Thanks,

L Shaw

:thumbsup:
For those two parts I would stay between 2-6 weeks prior to the build date but that's just me. If it's a Van Nuys car some parts could be earlier than the 6 weeks if it was added to the engine at the plant.
I needed an original carb for my car (02C) and did some research and found a guy with the same build date as mine (also VN), original Z that needed to be restored. The original carb was still on it and it was dated 912. ('69, Jan.,second week). Well, needless to say the hunt was on. About two years later I finally found and bought one off ebay.
Good luck with your hunt,
Doug

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The Vette guys accept six months on the engine block and most other parts. I would like for a Camaro Judge to chime in and tell us.
What's accepted and what originally was on a car are two different things. I've never heard of a '69 Camaro with a block cast 6 months prior to the build date. My block was cast Feb. 5th, built, then shipped to Van Nuys and installed in a 02C build date car. I'm not familiar with Vette build procedures.

I must add my alt. and dist. are early (8L23 and 8K30) If I were looking for a carb. and starter I would still stick with the 2-6 weeks. But like I said, that's just me.......
Enjoy the hobby!!
Doug

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I looked at an un-rebuilt L78 bare block once that was cast in October 68 and carried a May 69 engine build date. It was with a pile of other blocks, not in a car, and not re-machined, so I believe it to be an original stamp.

I would look for something 2-6 weeks prior, but only because that's the norm. Exceptions exist, so never say never.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
I am not A JUDGE. I think the time frame for engine components is typically very close to the build date for most cars. Special cars or limited production engine may have a wider range of dating prior to the build of the car. BUT they are not the norm and sure you may find a car in production that got held up for some reason, again not the norm. I think the normal is 2-3 weeks prior to the cars build for most parts.

This is a question that could have multiple answers depending on which Dated parts you are talking about. Some parts were made in smal and large batches. Some parts made are used over a longer period of production time.
Thats where you will find anomolies. Most parts where readily available and the dates I have seen are within a month and most are within 2-3 weeks.

Components I am talking about:

Alternator - typically dated 1 month to a week before cars build - one exception is the 837 alternator, there may be other low production alternators
Starter - typically dated 1 month to a week before cars build
Distributor - typically dated 1 month to a week before cars build
Blocktypically dated 1 month to a week before cars build

The blocks casting date and build date usually seem to be within a few days. Although there will lower production blocks with a wider range.

Waterpumptypically dated 1 month to a week before engine build
Intake Manifoldtypically dated 1 month to a week before engine build
Cylinder Headstypically dated 1 month to a week before engine build
Exhaust Manifoldstypically dated 1 month to a week before engine build
Carburetor typically dated 1 month to a week before engine build

I am sure there are small percentage of cars that do not fall in this range, but this is what I have seen with my own eyes.

Remember, I am not a Camaro Judge :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's accepted and what originally was on a car are two different things. I've never heard of a '69 Camaro with a block cast 6 months prior to the build date. My block was cast Feb. 5th, built, then shipped to Van Nuys and installed in a 02C build date car. I'm not familiar with Vette build procedures.

I must add my alt. and dist. are early (8L23 and 8K30) If I were looking for a carb. and starter I would still stick with the 2-6 weeks. But like I said, that's just me.......
Enjoy the hobby!!
Doug
My Z28 motor cast date is c89 and the motor assembly is 0310, Norwood built car. I agree that Camaros motors dont seem to have the potential lag time that Corvettes had.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not A JUDGE. I think the time frame for engine components is typically very close to the build date for most cars. Special cars or limited production engine may have a wider range of dating prior to the build of the car. BUT they are not the norm and sure you may find a car in production that got held up for some reason, again not the norm. I think the normal is 2-3 weeks prior to the cars build for most parts.

This is a question that could have multiple answers depending on which Dated parts you are talking about. Some parts were made in smal and large batches. Some parts made are used over a longer period of production time.
Thats where you will find anomolies. Most parts where readily available and the dates I have seen are within a month and most are within 2-3 weeks.

Components I am talking about:

Alternator - typically dated 1 month to a week before cars build - one exception is the 837 alternator, there may be other low production alternators
Starter - typically dated 1 month to a week before cars build
Distributor - typically dated 1 month to a week before cars build
Blocktypically dated 1 month to a week before cars build

The blocks casting date and build date usually seem to be within a few days. Although there will lower production blocks with a wider range.

Waterpumptypically dated 1 month to a week before engine build
Intake Manifoldtypically dated 1 month to a week before engine build
Cylinder Headstypically dated 1 month to a week before engine build
Exhaust Manifoldstypically dated 1 month to a week before engine build
Carburetor typically dated 1 month to a week before engine build

I am sure there are small percentage of cars that do not fall in this range, but this is what I have seen with my own eyes.

Remember, I am not a Camaro Judge :D
Jonsey,

Thanks for your insight. I here you that you are not a judge but you are a knowledgeable source. I have read many of your posts. I will use your time frame for my search.

Thanks
:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I have a DZ that was cast C20 and built 0407, but the heads were cast C30 and D1. There's a good article on CRG that explains most of this.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I can't remember for sure right now, but I think it's on something like "how first generation Camaros were assembled" I'll check tomorrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.