Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer with a 69 Camaro who is asking me to give his car a little Day II look using a wheel and tire change. Based on a previous thread and some photos I chose the BF Goodrich 215/70R15 front and 255/70R15 rears and Torque Thrust 309-5761 15x7 wheels which the poster (69OlympicGold) was running. I received the tires today and they look huge for this car even though that is what he says he is running. Is anyone else running a similar combination and do you have any issues with this wheel and tire combo? Thanks in advance.
Rick

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
If you take a look at the Olympic gold Car you will see how high it sits. If that the look your customer is looking for. It is a 70s look.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Rick:

I am running BFG 215 70 15 in the front and 255 60 15 in the rear.

Front tire is 26.5 inches tall, about the same as the original E 70 15.

Rear is 27 inches tall.

Wheels are Centerline auto drags polished: 15x7 in front and 15x8.5 in rear. My car is stock height in rear and lowered a couple inches in the front. No rubbing issues at all.

My personal opinion is that the above tire (granted the wheels weren't around yet in 1970) is the perfect day two look unless you want to jack it up and put some giant tires outside the rear wheel well. But then, I would call that more of a day 3 look, i.e. the 70's.

If you want pics of that set up, let me know. I haven't taken any since putting those tires and wheels on. Be glad to post.

Are you sure someone is running a 255 70? That tire would be 29 inches tall. It would look huge. I think it would fit (I have about 1.75 inches of clearance at the front and back of each rear tire between the tire and wheel well). Just seems a bit out of balance with the front tires.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. Yes the person that I originally saw photos of his car is in fact running 255x70R15's in the rear and confirmed it with him yesterday. He did it with a simple leaf spring change. I agree they are huge and I likely should have dropped it down a notch or two. We shall see how it works out.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Mine had 255/70/15 rears on it when I bought it and it had a rear tire rub. I changed to:

Fronts: 15x6 with 3.625 backspacing - 225/60/15 tire
Rear: 15x7 with 3.75 backspacing - 255/60/15 tire

...And I like the combo a lot. Here is a before and after:

The suspension has since settled a bit after being on jack stands for several weeks and actually sits pretty nice now, but I will still be lowering by 1".

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Mine has 295/50s on the rear, and I have about 3 fingers clearance from the tire to the fender lip on both sides.

Multi-leaf rear.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts