Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other dealership parts dept. guys out there? Having a really bad week and seriously thinking of moving on to something else. I'm really tired of listening to the whining and snide remarks one newer tech has towards parts when we don't stock the particular part he needs. To the point of blowing up and loosing my cool a couple times this week. This is a small town, small dealership. Limited to a small parts budget by the owner. This particular tech moved in from a big city where they have multi$$$ budgets or lots of other dealers to shop from. Used to like going to work everyday. Car geeks dream job at times. But no fun anymore. Thanks for listening. Wife is out of town for a while.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I dont mean to sound like a mediator here, but let your Boss and your Boss's Boss know how you feel. Ask for a 10 minute get together with Mr. Whiner and his boss and let them know what's going on and ask when will it stop (the whining and remarks).
But that only works in a perfect work setting. Go flatten all 4 of his tires.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Yep...

If you like the job, put an end to "Mr Whiney Pants" and set the table straight now. Do not wait for it to cost you your job. Owner,Manager, You and Whiney Pants need to have a down to earth meeting ASAP. Maybe it will be "Mr Whiney Pants" out the door and not you :) BTW you need to keep a kool head...

Kev

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,529 Posts
The next time he whines about a part, tell him it's obvious he's really unhappy with how your dealership has decided to stock its parts room, and that (although everyone else seems to be able to work with it) you're going to suggest your supervisor talk to him about his complaints. Do it in a nice way, as if you're taking his complaints seriously. Then follow through with something like: "Boss, Tech X - you know the new guy - is really unhappy with our parts inventory and he thinks we're not stocking the room the way it should be. Maybe you should talk to him to see what he has to say."

The tech is shooting the messenger (you), when you're simply doing what you're told. Likely he's complaining to you because he won't get in trouble doing so. If, every time he whines to you, you suggest that you'll take his complaints to your boss, he might cool his jets a bit.

But it actually sounds as if he's just a PITA.

·
Super Moderator
32,758 Posts
As said, tell Mr Whiney if he would like, you'll get the Parts Mgr for him.

Be nice to the guy and bite your tongue. Kill him with kindness and have a talk with the four of you, Mr. Whiny, his super, your super, and you.

He might have a valid reason, you never know. Listen to his side/story. He may be complaining because it affects his paycheck, most people whine about this. If he can't get a part to finish the job for the day, he can't stub it out and collect. How common are the parts? Interchangable with other makes? Last time or history has shown how many were sold? Whatever you do, be nice & courteous to all involved. Not that I'm sticking up for the guy, by no means, but there may be a reason here. Who knows, the event could improve the dealership.

But these are just my thoughts. Yours and others may differ. But, there's got to be a real reason he's a whiner. New to town? No friends yet?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am sure you have many friends more then him, a little soap party in the back of the shop might set him straight use 2 pillow cases I find the single break when you start WHALING on them hard :thumbsup:

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've been working in dealerships on & off for 20yrs+, currently i am an advisor at a small town dealership - and you know as well as i do if the wrench is turning decent #'s, then his squeaky wheel is going to get the grease from the boss. If he's not making his #'s then he'll eventually quit and move on to what he hopes will be a greener pasture. I have a pretty down to earth group of techs here with the exception of one wrench throwing whiner - but the guy does make me lots of $$$. In the end if the guy is making you money on parts sales - i say grin and bear it cause you ain't gonna change him.

good luck
TStone

p.s. - techs are the reason god created beer :)

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
He will be gone soon so don't sweat it. He's not making any hours. I've seen this over and over. I've been a MB parts advisor now for 28 years.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all your come backs! My manager is totally on my side but has advised me what a few of you have suggested. Just smile at him and let him be the one to lose his cool. Funny thing is he is one heck of a mech. (and knows it) Upper management will kiss up to keep him around. And I'd like to have all the parts he needs in stock because I'm on commision and if they aren't spinning wrenches it hurts me too. Anyhow--thanks again. With a good nights sleep hopefully I have a better attitude this a.m.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Any other dealership parts dept. guys out there? Having a really bad week and seriously thinking of moving on to something else. I'm really tired of listening to the whining and snide remarks one newer tech has towards parts when we don't stock the particular part he needs. To the point of blowing up and loosing my cool a couple times this week. This is a small town, small dealership. Limited to a small parts budget by the owner. This particular tech moved in from a big city where they have multi$$$ budgets or lots of other dealers to shop from. Used to like going to work everyday. Car geeks dream job at times. But no fun anymore. Thanks for listening. Wife is out of town for a while.
The tech will break before you do...he'll be gone. If ya like your job stay.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Thanks guys for all your come backs! My manager is totally on my side but has advised me what a few of you have suggested. Just smile at him and let him be the one to lose his cool. Funny thing is he is one heck of a mech. (and knows it) Upper management will kiss up to keep him around. And I'd like to have all the parts he needs in stock because I'm on commision and if they aren't spinning wrenches it hurts me too. Anyhow--thanks again. With a good nights sleep hopefully I have a better attitude this a.m.
Your management should know that a star performer that causes big problems among the ranks has to go or have an attitude adjustment, no matter how good he is. If a bunch of you walk because of this jerk then they are left with a real problem.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
John ,like I tell my girls ,don't let somebody's else's actions affect your attitude and spoil your day, you have no control over that person, turn the situation over to your boss (that can almost be considered harassment toward you and negativity in the work place is not healthy ) . I know that is not tolerated in my work place ,so turn it over to your boss…Good luck bud and always Happy Motoring

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've been in the business for over 30 years most of it as a Service Manager. I'm sure yo realize how much things have changed over the years. This used to be a fun business for a car guy. Now the hours are too long the pay is too little the benefits are too expensive the customers are too demanding the factory doesn't pay enough.........I could go and on as I'm sure you know. I work for a multi line dealer now that the service dept I'm in does over $170,000 labor a month. We have a multi million dollar parts inventory and listen to the same complaints you do everyday. You can't have everything. The bigger the producer the tech is the more everybody tires to stroke him. The parts guy always winds up being the bad guy. Why? I don't know but I think it's because he's an easy target. The techs can order $1000s worth of parts to try and then hand back but that's OK. Once there got be more jobs than good techs (why would anyone want to fix cars any more?) there is no more accountability for their actions. Bring out your point - air your feelings - but don't get sick and upset and let it bother you. It's not worth it. There is no pain and suffering compensation so don't indure it. Good luck - I hope things work out for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts