Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 327 car that I am going to swap in a 383. I heard the 69 deep groove pulleys might work a little better than the 68s but thinking the alternator will have to be moved. What have you guys used for pulleys when you swapped motors? I guess I better see what my dampner accepts too
Thanks

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
I have a 68 327 car that I am going to swap in a 383. I heard the 69 deep groove pulleys might work a little better than the 68s but thinking the alternator will have to be moved. What have you guys used for pulleys when you swapped motors? I guess I better see what my dampner accepts too
Thanks
Your damper shouldn't effect it. The same pulley can be used on 68's (short pump) and 69 (long pump)

Pulleys | CHQ W-645

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Why not use 67-68 deep groove pulleys? 69 pulleys don't work well with 67-68 alternator location just as you said.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some checking off HBC website for ease. The killer on the 68 stuff is the $138 power steering pulley (back ordered) and the only water pump pulley they show is a used one for 324. The 68 parts are alot higher. I might see how the wires to the alternator are ran on my 69 and see if I can figure out how to use the 69 pulleys

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
If the price of the 68 power steering pulley sounds expensive, you need to price a deep groove power steering pulley for a 69. 1105 prices are are fricken crazy.

camaros.org/#PulleySpreadsheet

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
if you are concerned about the belt coming off, here is a little trick I use to prevent it from happening. I hit 6200 several times and the belt stayed on

·
20,000 Posts
As long as everything is aligned, there shouldn't be any problem really.
My old combo had mid 70's-early 80's pulleys from my 74 Blazer....7500rpm was the norm at the track. (only crank/water pump/alternator pulleys)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts