Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so for the past few months ive trying to get my camaro that my father has been sitting around for me for the past two decades running. im likely to do a write up on the mini budget build i got going on with it but that will be later on when its worth reading, lol.

any hoot, its a 68 camaro with an automatic, so it has the the speedo on the left and gas gauge on the right. the needle on the gas gauge as most of you 68 owners know, is supposed to be around the 10:30am (empty) to 1:30pm (full) mark. now, MY gas gauge, without turning the ignition key, will sit at the 1:30pm mark (which read "F" for full). when i flip the ignition key, the needle will rotate to the 3 o clock mark.

the gas tank is full the brim with fuel and yes i forgot to check if the needle moved when i filled up.

although i have the car running, i havent really driven it in fear of breaking down. so driving around until it runs out of gas to see what the gas gauge does is out of the question.

ive got no idea how to trouble shoot this. i dont know if the gauge is broken, something wrong with the fuel sending unit or the needle simply needs adjusting. if anyone can let me know where i should begin trouble shooting id appreciate it.

PLEASE NO GUESSES. im not rich enough to do this twice. im looking for absolute answers or people that have had the same situation.

thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
32,347 Posts
Got an ohmmeter/DMM? There is a tan wire from the driver kick panel to the rear of the car by the fuel filler tube, may have to remove the shield. This tan wire goes to the sending unit.

Unhook the tan wire and measure ohms to ground. GM is 90 ohms = full; 0 ohms = empty.
There is a black wire coming off the sending unit and goes to the tank strap mounting on the pass side, make sure this connection is good condition, wire brush it.

If you ground the tan wire, gauge should read empty. Tan wire back to full tank sending unit, gauge should indicate full. If the needle arc is present between full to empty, then needle may need relocating by moving it on its shaft.

To check further levels, you're either going to have to drive it, siphon gas out yo empty the tank, or get a 45 ohm resistor to check for 1/2 tank by tying one lead to ground and the other lead to the tan wire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, ill try and get my hands on an ohmmeter today and reply by tomorrow.

one quick question, in the event that i have to relocate the needle, am i supposed to remove the needle and reposition it/push it back into place? or just move the needle by hand to where it supposed to be?

thanks for the quick and accurate response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts