Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The state of New Hampshire seems to think it is important that I have a defroster. I guess I am in no position to argue the need of a defroster in a car that never sees anything but sun filled days. The problem is that I have removed the original heater box and welded in a bit of metal to have a smooth firewall - this means I can't put the heater box back in. I do not want air, heat or for that matter a defroster.

So now what do I do? I still have the defroster underdash ducting. (It is not in the car at the moment, but could be put back in.) I was thinking of getting a bunch of low ohm/high watt ceramic resistors and a 12 volt muffin fan and build something that will blow a bit of warm air on the dash, make the inspection folks happy and me as well knowing it will never get used other than at inspection time.

Has anyone dealt with this and how did you do it?

Ed Bleich

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Get a copy of the assembly manual that shows the C48 Heater Delete option. Since you could order a car in 67 thru 69 without a heater, I would think they can't require you to have one now.

I though Mass was one of the worst states for stupid inspection requirements, but I haven't ever had anyone ask to see my heater work yet.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is an excerpt from the NH code:

RSA 266:55

"and every motor vehicle manufactured after January 1,1947 shall, in addition to such windshield wiper, be also equipped with a defroster, so-called, designed for melting snow and ice from the windshield."

It seems they don't care if it was avaliable or not, although the fact that there was a delete option certainly gives me an arguing point.

Ed

·
Registered
551 Posts
Are you trying to register the car as an antique or standard process? It sounds like something from a standard inspection vs antique.

Rick O'Loughlin
Amherst, NH
69 RS-SS

·
Registered
6,513 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
All 1969 cars built after Jan. 1 were required to have a defroster.I believe all heater delete cars were pre Jan.I know this is not what you want to here but it saves the trouble looking for these documents.

Steve

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a '68.

The dohickey from JC Whitney holds promise and would be cheaper than what I could throw together, especially since it only has to be "intended to melt ice and snow" and doesn't necessarily have to accomplish that purpose.

Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ed

Can you have a re-inspection at a garage? Here in Connectcut you can take a car that fails an inspection to a garage that has a repairer's license to get it fixed. They then fill out a form with the costs and what they fixed. The DMV will then register the car. My defroster didn't work either and failed. Took it to a classic car garage i frequent and and gave the guy $20.00 to fill out the form. Presto got the car registered. Someday I'll fix that non functional defroster...................

------------------
69 Camaro
350 4sp
Daytona Yellow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts