Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't find a answer to my question. Are the "Delum" bushings, please correct spelling if wrong, made of Delrin? For a race type car would it be better to go with solid metal bushings or the Delum type?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
'Del-alum' are a combination of Delrin and Aluminum. Global West markets them.
Good streetable combo.
For a true "race car" set-up I would recommend you install solid spherical-ball type units or joints to completely eliminate any deflextion (or at least transfer it somewhere else...) over even Nylon/Teflon/Delrin types.
Don't even think about any of the Urethane types :rolleyes: They are worse that the original rubber bushings.

As always - jmho's

·
10,142 Posts

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
David would you say it's ok to run the lightweight bushing in a street car? daily drivin at about 15-17k miles per year? how about the delrins?

Thanks
Joe

·
10,142 Posts
The Delrin bushings are supposed to last a long long time as long as they are greased periodically.
15K to 17K is a lot of miles in a year, they should last, Global West tried them in fleet cars, my other option would be to use stock rubber bushings, I would not consider polly bushings, I'm just not fond of them.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I have poly and I am thinking of changing them out to Delrin. I don't like them much myself. They seem to bind as much as rubber does. I live in a wet area will that affect them David.

I guess your recomending the delrin over the affco right? 15K-17K will not be hard to do with my 67 (once I get it back from paint prison) since it's driven everyday. I will be able to park it in most rainy weather now that I have a little truck to drive that I bought when it went to paint prison.

Joe

·
10,142 Posts
To save money the AFCO bushings look good. One problem I see is, the AFCO "lightweight" bushings don't have washers on the end, so they would rub on the subframe and after a lot of street miles may cause wear on your subframe.

The Global West bushings have the end washers to protect the subframe. On a race car it won't be an issue.

Speed Tech makes Delrin bushings and they would be comparable with the Global West bushings. Stock rubber isn't all that bad, keep in mind that new cars still come that way so it isn't obsolete technology, just not that racy.
David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts